What Is a Project Executive and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Is a Project Executive?
A project executive is the head of a company’s project management team, responsible for implementing strategic planning and monitoring the progress of ongoing projects. As a project executive, your job duties are to evaluate staff, assess project progress against timelines and budget considerations, prepare regular reports for senior management to inform staffing decisions and project priorities, and check in with clients regarding project specifications and their expectations. To pursue a career as a project executive, you need 10 to 15 years of experience in project management and leadership roles.
How to Become a Project Executive
The qualifications you need to become a project executive include a degree and extensive work experience. To qualify for this job, you typically need at least a bachelor’s degree in business or a subject relevant to the industry in which you work. For example, if you work in the construction industry, you would need a degree in engineering or construction management. To reach an executive-level position, you need five to ten years of experience, and some employers require more than ten years of experience. You need strong organizational, communications, and administrative skills in this career.
Project Executive Job Description Sample
With this Project Executive job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Project Executive role.
We are seeking an experienced, energetic individual to join our company as a Project Executive. As part of our project management team, you guide complex projects from early ideation to completion and phase-out. You manage teams of talented professionals, develop and foster important client relationships, and ensure projects adhere to schedules and are equipped to succeed. This is a senior-level position, and our ideal candidate has more than 10 years of experience in a project management role, especially with leadership responsibilities. You must have superb organizational, leadership, and communication skills, coupled with a comprehensive understanding of the industry and relevant regulatory processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead a team of professionals through all phases of project development, implementation, and completion
- Conduct hiring interviews to fill critical vacancies
- Develop relationships with clients and vendors, identifying moments to leverage emerging opportunities
- Ensure all projects operate according to schedule and in support of high-level business objectives
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in business administration or a closely related field, or commensurate experience
- 10 years of successful experience in a project management role with clear leadership responsibilities
- Experience with industry regulatory processes and agencies
- Superb leadership, organizational, and communication skills