What Is an Operations Coordinator and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Is an Operations Coordinator?
Operations coordinators manage business logistics to ensure a company runs smoothly. As an operations coordinator, your duties may involve overseeing employee scheduling, monitoring projects, inspecting equipment, and ensuring all deadlines are met. Operations coordinators work closely with employees and management. The career typically requires a bachelor’s degree in operations management, business administration, or a related field. Additional qualifications include excellent interpersonal and project management skills, as well as prior work experience in a similar industry.
How to Become an Operations Coordinator
The qualifications you need to become an operations coordinator include a degree and knowledge of the industry in which your employer operates. The academic requirements for this career vary depending on your job duties. In many cases, employers prefer job applicants with a bachelor’s degree in business, management, or a related field. In some jobs, you need an engineering or technical degree or a background in supply chain management or logistics. These positions require negotiation skills when dealing with suppliers, contractors, or distributors. Some operations managers must be willing to travel to different locations.
Operations Coordinator Job Description Sample
With this Operations Coordinator job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Operations Coordinator role.
We are seeking a seasoned and skilled operations coordinator for our rapidly growing company. In this role, you will oversee the general operations of our office and ensure that logistical needs are met. You will coordinate with vendors, handle billing/expenditures, and maintain stock of all supplies. You will also greet visitors and conduct some clerical duties. You will be an essential part of the smooth daily operation of our business.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee daily operations of the office
- Schedule and coordinate vendors
- Keep an organized ledger of expenses
- Remain on budget by always seeking the best prices for supplies and services
- Foster good working relationships with vendors and service providers
- Ensure all office equipment is functioning properly
- Monitor supply stock and place orders as needed
- Greet visitors to the office, answering any questions they might have
- Contact maintenance and ensure needed repairs are complete
- Keep a master calendar of schedules and vacations
- Organize and update files as needed
- Answer phones, emails, and conduct basic clerical work
- Keep conference rooms clean, neat, and well-stocked
Requirements and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent required, Associate's degree preferred
- Significant experience as an operations coordinator or similar role
- Experience in the customer service field is a preferred
- Excellent phone etiquette
- Solid computer skills, including email and Microsoft Office
- Basic bookkeeping skills
- Good typing skills
- Ability to coordinate multiple schedules
- Highly organized with an aptitude for problem-solving
- Neat, professional appearance
- Able to prioritize tasks and work independently
- Friendly and personable