What Is a Marketing Operations Manager and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Is a Marketing Operations Manager?
A marketing operations manager supervises marketing department staff to maintain productivity and smooth operations. Unlike a marketing project manager who focuses on a particular marketing campaign, a marketing operations manager oversees the overall marketing department and ensures the staff meets their goals. Job duties include evaluating market trends to develop new marketing strategies, creating department goals, delegating project tasks to employees, and training new marketing employees. Qualifications for this career include a bachelor’s or master’s degree in marketing, business administration, or a related field, extensive marketing experience, and leadership skills.
How to Become a Marketing Operations Manager
The primary qualifications for getting a job as a marketing operations manager are a bachelor's degree in marketing, public relations, business, or a related field and several years of industry experience. Marketing operations managers usually work at larger companies, so many start their careers in a junior position and work your way up through a series of supervisory roles before seeking a marketing operations manager position. This role often oversees teams, so leadership training is also helpful when first applying for this job. Additional qualifications include excellent communication and leadership skills, attention to detail, and the ability to create eye-catching presentations.
Marketing Operations Manager Job Description Sample
With this Marketing Operations Manager job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Marketing Operations Manager role.
We are seeking an experienced, talented leader to join our company as a Marketing Operations Manager. As part of our senior marketing team, you oversee all aspects of the marketing department, from the creative direction of global campaigns to media buys and out-of-home takeovers. You develop a high-level view of our marketing operations and procedures and implement new processes to eliminate inefficiency, improve client relationships, and support overall business objectives. This is a senior-level management position, and our ideal candidate has at least 10 years of experience in a leadership role within a marketing department, especially as related to operations and logistics.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee all aspects of marketing department operations, delivering regular reports to C-level leadership
- Ensure smooth cross-functioning of different sub-departments
- Hire and train new staff and promote talented team members to positions of greater responsibility
- Implement new processes to improve marketing department efficiency and agility, especially with client relations
- Support media professionals in determining physical and out-of-home marketing strategies
Requirements and Qualifications
- At least 10 years of experience in a leadership role within a marketing department or agency
- Proven track record of leadership and successful team-building
- Extensive industry contacts and existing relationships
- Excellent communication, management, and problem-solving skills