What Is a Field Service Technician and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Does a Field Service Technician Do?
As a field service technician, your responsibilities and duties include traveling to work sites to conduct maintenance and repairs to computers for individuals and businesses. You must troubleshoot problems that your clients are having with technology, including software and hardware issues. You travel, usually by car, to the home or business of the client so that you can remedy the situation on site. Your job is to listen to the client’s concerns, diagnose the problem, and provide a suitable solution.
How to Become a Field Service Technician
To become a field technician, you first need a high school diploma or equivalent. Though some jobs require a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, some field service jobs only require an associate degree or vocational school certificate and provide on the job training. In these programs you study the basics of computer technology, including software and hardware repair and installation, to gain the skills and qualifications you need to fulfill your responsibilities in this career. In addition to technical skills, you also need to be courteous and professional and have excellent communication and customer service skills.
Field Service Technician Job Description Sample
With this Field Service Technician job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Field Service Technician role.
We are seeking a motivated, experienced individual to join our team as a Field Service Technician. As a Field Service Technician with our company, you travel to worksites and facilities to perform preventative maintenance, repairs, and inspections of our hardware. Our ideal candidate has a wide range of experience completing mechanical repairs. You should also feel comfortable reading schematics and operating power and hand tools.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Travel to client sites to perform maintenance on hardware and equipment
- Perform tests and diagnostics to ensure hardware is in good working order
- Ensure all hardware and machinery adheres to relevant regulations
- Track maintenance and repairs in our company database
Requirements and Qualifications
- Prior experience performing repairs on mechanical equipment, preferably in a similar environment
- Thorough knowledge of our hardware and machinery
- Experience using common hand and power tools
- Experience with diagnostic tools and software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills