Director Jobs - What Are They and How to Get One
Table of Contents
What Do Directors Do?
A director is a low-level executive in a company or organization that is responsible for a particular project, region, or division. A director of a company is employed to manage the day-to-day business activities of a group or division within an organization. There are different types of directors, but they are all tasked with leading others and meeting the goals of the organization. Directors plan, execute and manage to reach a goal. For example, the sales director would oversee the sales for a particular product or area. An HR director would be tasked with screening applicants and hiring the right candidates, making sure to comply with all employment laws and settling any personnel issues.
What Do Directors Do in a Company?
The director usually reports directly to a vice president or to the CEO to let them know the progress of the organization. Companies may have many directors serving in different business functions or roles (e.g., director of sales). Some companies may also have regional directors and area directors when the company is organized by location.
Director Job Description Sample
With this Director job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Director role.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, thorough, and organized director to join our growing organization. In this position, you will play a key role in departmental planning and oversee your team's progress. You will be tasked with finding innovative ways to enhance productivity while ensuring compliance with all rules and regulations. Candidates should have a strong working knowledge of performance and operations management to optimize productivity and employee satisfaction.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement plans and objectives for the department in an effective and innovative fashion
- Oversee and coordinate daily operations
- Maintain compliance with external regulations and internal policies
- Assess and report progress in meeting department objectives
- See to department staffing needs (e.g. interviewing, hiring, new hire and ongoing training, annual evaluations, etc.)
- Participate in budget development and monitoring of expenses
- Oversee events and conferences as needed
- Generate necessary reports for the executive team; read subordinates' reports
Requirements and Qualifications
- Minimum BS/BA in business administration or related field; master's degree preferred
- Significant work experience as a department director or similar position
- Strong working knowledge of performance and operations management
- Familiarity with industry regulations and quality standards
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Office and relational databases and software (e.g. ERP).
- Exceptional communication and public speaking skills
- Outstanding leadership and organizational skills
- Competent collaborator and skilled cross-functional communicator