What Is a Digital Marketing Manager and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Does a Digital Marketing Manager Do?
As a digital marketing manager, you use your vast knowledge of search engine optimization (SEO), social media platforms, email marketing, and web development to create effective marketing in the digital space. You oversee the editorial calendar and establish the entire digital marketing presence for your company. You may work independently or manage a digital marketing team. Your job is to work with the marketing team, graphic designers, the IT department, management, and anyone else involved in crafting the online voice of your company.
How to Become a Digital Marketing Manager
Though some digital marketing manager jobs require a bachelor’s degree in marketing or a related field, some jobs only require an associate degree or significant on-the-job experience. You must possess a wide range of digital marketing knowledge, including SEO and have creative skills to fulfill your responsibilities in this career. Gaining expertise and the marketing know-how required to reach your target audience is an ongoing learning process.
Digital Marketing Manager Job Description Sample
With this Digital Marketing Manager job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Digital Marketing Manager role.
We are currently seeking an experienced and creative Digital Marketing Manager to oversee our digital campaigns. In this position, you will be responsible for the management of all digital platforms, including developing strategies to increase traffic, establishing schedules for the release of articles or blog posts, and monitoring performance to measure the success of the campaign. When you find dips in performance, you must make adjustments as necessary. You will also oversee the progress of your staff and ensure they meet departmental goals and deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee management of updates, design, and user experience on all digital channels
- Monitor daily messaging and posts
- Develop effective, cohesive, and engaging brand messaging
- Answer customer questions and concerns when necessary
- Conduct and report analysis of site and social traffic
- Establish and monitor ROI and KPIs
- Create, maintain, and implement digital marketing and editorial calendars
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communication, or related field
- 5+ years of experience in marketing; with at least 3 years in digital marketing
- Solid understanding of eCommerce, PPC, SEO, and SEM
- Knowledge of media editing software (photo and video)
- Working knowledge of web design principles, best practices, and content management platforms
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute sales and marketing strategies
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with analytical tools, such as Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools