What Is a Call Center Representative and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Is the Job of a Call Center Representative?
Call center representatives take customer service calls for companies. Businesses employ call center representatives to handle a range of customer issues, including resolving complaints, processing transactions, and answering customer questions. They may also make cold calls or other outgoing calls for a company, usually following a set dialog script. Call center representatives often work remotely or in different call centers so that customer service lines may be open for more extended hours. This job requires strong verbal communication skills.
Do Call Center Representative Work From Home?
Call Center representatives are often able to work from home. To keep phone lines open as long a possible, companies will employ call center representatives across a range of time zones, and offer shifts outside of regular business hours.
What Is Good on a Resume for a Call Center Job?
A strong resume for a call center representative job lists previous experience in customer service, especially call center work. Prior experience or knowledge of the particular industry is also an advantage. Candidates should emphasize their verbal communication skills and ability to be diplomatic with a range of personalities. Most call center representative jobs require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
Call Center Representative Job Description Sample
With this Call Center Representative job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Call Center Representative role.
We are looking for a friendly and hard-working Call Center Representative to join our growing team. You will be responsible for answering all incoming calls and emails, handling customer questions and complaints, and transferring potential leads to our sales team. Candidates should have an outgoing and positive demeanor, a positive work ethic, and have a track record of working well with others in a team environment. We prefer applicants who have some customer service experience, but we are willing to train the right person.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to incoming calls and messages in a timely manner throughout shift
- Identify customer questions, complaints, concerns, and overall needs
- Provide sufficient answers and solutions to all customer queries
- Handle customer complaints respectfully and professionally
- Redirect customers to appropriate departments and teams when appropriate
- Generate leads for sales team by screening callers and identifying potential sales opportunities
- Meet or exceed call quotas and sales assist quotas, both personally and as a team unit
- Follow all communication procedures, policies, and guidelines during every customer interaction
Requirements and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Customer service experience preferred
- Familiarity with CRM systems a plus
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to multitask
- Outgoing and friendly personality