What Is a Business Systems Analyst and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Is a Business Systems Analyst?
A business systems analyst, or systems analyst, oversees business systems—gathering and analyzing information or data, and determining where to make improvements. The duties of an analyst include working with management and end users to gain an understanding of how the computer system of the business works and how it could work better. They oversee how each new requirement or piece of functionality fits into the overall business process.
How to Become a Business Systems Analyst
To become a business systems analyst, you need a bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer information systems, business administration, or a related field. This is an information technology job, so strong computer skills, including experience with hardware and software, are important in this career. In these education programs, you study the complexities of systems analysis to gain the experience, skills, and qualifications you need to complete your responsibilities in this career successfully.
Business Systems Analyst Job Description Sample
With this Business Systems Analyst job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Business Systems Analyst role.
We are seeking an experienced business systems analyst to join our growing organization. In this position, you will analyze existing systems for improvement, recommend new system processes, and keep detailed reports of all structural and process changes. You must follow best practices and align with company goals while creating better procedures and solutions to increase performance and revenue.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluate company systems and current processes
- Compile objectives for improving and streamlining company procedures
- Evaluate company performance, information, and formats
- Analyze company software and hardware uses and needs
- Track company systems progress and report on progress
- Develop procedures to improve existing systems
- Research and compare hardware and software needs to make recommendations for the company
- Advise on best practices
- Plan and implement supportive business solutions
- Document and create reports on systems effectiveness
- Recommend new system developments
- Analyze relevant data
- Translate data for presentation to other team members
- Enhance company business performance
- Create a guide to system updates
- Present key information to IT teams for improvements
- Estimate and establish costs of upgrades and improvements
- Address issues of existing systems
- Compile, write, and distribute system process specifications
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in business, computer science, or IT related field; master in business or related field preferred
- Two years of previous experience in business systems analyst
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel); programs including COBOL, C, etc.
- Able to analyze system records and translate data
- Excellent interpersonal skills and solid communication with all levels of management
- Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Self-motivated and self-directed