What Is a Billing Clerk and How to Become One
Table of Contents
What Is a Billing Clerk?
A billing clerk handles customer invoicing and billing for a business. The scope of your work ranges depending on the employer. You may oversee all billing records or specialize in B2B or B2C clients. Your job duties may include calculating invoices with an accounting or billing software program, sending invoices to clients, collecting payment, and providing customer service for billing inquiries. You will find positions in a myriad of businesses from banks to doctor offices to construction companies.
How to Become a Billing Clerk
You can find a job as a billing clerk with a high school diploma or GED certificate. Some positions require an associate or bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field. Desirable coursework includes business, accounting, and math. You will learn business-specific skills with on-the-job training. Your job requires occasional communication with customers or clients. Along with excellent math skills and attention to detail, good people skills are a plus for explaining billing issues and company policies to individuals.
Billing Clerk Job Description Sample
With this Billing Clerk job description sample, you can get a good idea of what employers are looking for when hiring for this position. Remember, every employer is different and each will have unique qualifications when they hire for a Billing Clerk role.
We are seeking an experienced, motivated individual to join our company as a Billing Clerk. As part of our accounting team, you log daily invoices, process timesheets, and generate customer billing statements. This is a detail-oriented position that requires you to have expert proficiency with billing and accounting platforms like QuickBooks software, experience with account receivables and billing processes, and good working knowledge of vendor management platforms. Our ideal candidate has at least a bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or a related field, as well as excellent math skills, attention to detail, and strong communication and organizational abilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Log daily invoices and timesheets in our secure database
- Generate customer billing statements
- Assist customers with billing inquiries and payment options
- Reconcile accounts across multiple vendors and transactions
- Update billing information and vendor payment history
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or a relevant field
- Strong proficiency with QuickBooks software and standard accounting platforms
- Experience with B2B billing processes, bookkeeping in a corporate environment, and general accounting
- Excellent attention to detail and math skills
- Strong communication and organizational abilities