Director of Communications
Who We Are:
Philadelphia Zoo works to fulfill our mission as an animal care organization, as a resource to schools and families, and as an ark and advocate for endangered animals around the world.
What makes the Zoo a unique place to work? Whether you are involved with caring for animals, educating our visitors or working in a behind-the-scenes position in administration, maintenance or garden services, all of our positions share our institutional mission, purpose, and core values.
Who We Are Looking For:
A Director of Communications who will serves as the Zoo’s chief messaging officer providing strategic direction and leadership on all communications functions in support of the Zoo’s vision, mission and core values. The Director of Communications oversees internal and external communications and is responsible for developing realistic and effective avenues for talking about the Zoo’s mission to staff, as well as the public. As the primary writer for the organization, the Director will plan and execute how we tell stories to our staff and media as well as think globally about the platforms and ways in which we communicate. Building high public awareness of our mission, programs, and onsite experience is paramount to success.
This is accomplished through all of the Zoo’s communications programs including:
- Written and verbal communications that articulate the mission of the Zoo and describe how it carries out its mission.
- Marketing communications that attract audiences to the Zoo and support a wide range of earned revenue business units.
- Fundraising messaging that provide donors, both public and private, with information about the Zoo’s various fundraising initiatives and events.
- Lead internal communications to staff, volunteers and at times the Board to keep the Zoo community well informed.
- Work with staff responsible for developing media materials, drafted edited, produced resources including news releases, media alerts, feature stories, Op-ed, briefing materials, marketing emails, broadcast commercials, website content, and video scripts for a variety of audiences.
- Develop media relations strategies, which routinely yield feature stories spanning international, national, and local outlets.
- Support direction and execution of media events and fundraisers to create awareness, drive media coverage, and reach overall objectives.
- Manage 3rd party vendors, outside agencies as needed.
- Create crisis communications plans as needed.
- Act as trusted consultant to C-Suite executives, including media coaching, and crafting a variety of communication on their behalf.
These communications occur through numerous media including mass media (electronic and print, both paid and placed), zoo publications, web site, staff meetings, electronic mail, direct mail, interpretive graphics and signage and other means.
Personal communication with major donors, government officials, board members and other influential individuals is an important component of this position.
What This Role Requires:
At least ten years’ experience in corporate communications, branding, identity management and relations.
Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree preferred or a record of continuing professional training and education.
Demonstrated public relations with a non-profit is a strong plus.
Senior-level communications management experience in a large and complex organization, requiring an understanding of generating earned revenue, building a corporate image, and communicating them to the general public.
Notable administrative skills as evidenced by knowledge of planning, budgeting, information systems and organizational dynamics in a broadly-based environment.
Passion for quality and attention to detail.
Able to work very collaboratively with peers and others to plan and deliver the highest quality communications programs across the organization.
What We Can Offer You:
- Competitive Pay – We recognize talent and we pay to keep it
- Medical, Dental, Vision –While you have our back on the grounds, we cover yours’ with health insurance
- Annual Leave – We all need a break from time to time
- 401K – There will come a time, when you are ready to retire
- Family membership pass with complimentary tickets
zoological society of PHPhiladelphia, PA
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.