Position Summary: Perform daily work activities with general supervision. Work activities to be performed include: computer aided drafting to prepare maps, sketches, schematics and other engineering related drawings. The position includes associated clerical work to properly manage and document the work activities performed, as per requirements for the position.
1. Create, revise and maintain engineering and record drawings, and sketches.
2. Support the creation, revision, and maintenance of facilities and equipment documents; including but not limited to construction, equipment, property documents and records.
3. Obtain information required to perform work from verbal communication, sketches, marked drawings, listings, field notes, vendors' catalogs and technical reference manuals and site visits.
4. Perform mathematical calculations required to accomplish assigned work.
5. Proficiency in the use of computer aided design software.
6. Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software.
7. Work with other organizations of the Company to coordinate the work and assure that it is performed in a safe and efficient manner.
8. Read vendors' prints, shop and other drawings and equipment operating instructions, and incorporate that information into the work being performed.
9. Assist in training employees in basic skills of the position.
10. Promote and support the Company's Accident Prevention and Safety and Health programs.
11. Demonstrate ethical behavior as outlined in the corporate policies.
12. Support the Corporate Compliance policies.
13. Assume other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Requirements: Associate degree in applied science (AAS) drafting and computer aided design (CAD) or in civil, electrical or mechanical engineering technology, with one to two years of relevant equivalent experience.
Equivalent experience without AAS degree – high school graduate and 6 years of experience in electric utility and/or related industrial drafting and/or computer aided drafting work.
Additional Information: Must be familiar with conventional drafting symbols and drafting methods and can distinguish colors. Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and possess and maintain a valid state driver's license. Must meet all vehicle operation requirements as designated by federal and/or state law. This position may require shift work or overtime. Occasional overnight travel to and work within a substation or power plant environment in obedience to all safety regulations and use of personal protection equipment.
Each of the positions in the Electrical Designer job family is responsible for preparation, development and coordination of maps, sketches, diagrams and other engineering related drawings in 2D/3D. The following are activities that will be performed, but not limited to:
• Associated clerical work to properly manage and document the work activities performed, as per requirements for the position
• Assist responsible engineer with development of documentation to support project decision making
• Assist and prepare station layouts and detailed design drawings
• Create bills of material and submit requisitions for the procurement of the project equipment
• Coordinate information and design across a multi-disciplinary team to ensure deliverables are compliant with project expectations
• Provide support to construction and professional field service personnel to resolve issues and concerns during the construction phase of projects
• Collaborate with various departments during the project
• Perform mathematical calculations required to accomplish assigned work. These might include:
- Voltage drop and cable sizing
- Conduit fill calculations
- Oil containment sizing
• Proficiency in the use of computer aided design software
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software