This position is for a Compliance and Leasing Manager at a 200-unit CTCAC affordable housing building in Oakland, CA. Well qualified candidates will have 1+ years of Affordable Housing Property Management at a 100+ unit property as well as at least one year of related leasing/marketing/sales experience with matching education background preferred. Must have strong supervisory experience and knowledge of TCAC and HUD Guidelines. Candidate must have a solid work history. Position DOES NOT REQUIRE living on-site, though that is an option. Salary is commensurate with experience and will vary depending on whether or not applicant lives on-site or off-site. The building is already staffed with 24/7 front desk personnel, maintenance staff, and janitorial staff
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Leasing / Marketing / Compliance / Occupancy
· Markets units by preparing advertising and marketing programs in compliance with federal, state, local and regulatory requirements. Makes recommendations to improve marketing and leasing programs
· Walks a vacant apartment when completed by maintenance personnel or vendors to ensure they are clean and ready to show
· Walks entire property daily to be sure the common areas, landscaping, laundry, etc. are in good condition.
· Supervises move-in and move-out procedures.
· Conducts marketing and public relations tours during office hours or by appointment, as
· Prepares regular market surveys, as requested.
· Maintains and monitors a viable Wait List of qualified perspective residents, as well as internal transfer lists, minimizing vacancy loss
· Conducts phone and on-site interviews for potential applicants/residents. Responsible for LIHTC compliance in accordance with TCAC.
· Reviews all applicant submitted rental applications, LIHTC and TCAC documents for accuracy and completeness
· Verifies incomes and complies with HUD, LIHTC or other regulations regarding income certifications and other documentation/correspondence.
· Reviews and approves all applicant files prior to approval from Management
Recertifications / Compliance
· Ensures that recertification letters are mailed to residents 120 days prior to the anniversary date of move-in (depending on agency requirements); Oversees appointments with residents to sign necessary forms.
· Ensures reminder notices are sent to residents who fail to make prompt appointment responses for the recertification process.
· Ensures all recertifications are scheduled so that they are completed by the anniversary date of move-in.
· Reviews recertification schedule in Google Sheets on a monthly basis for timeliness.
· Keeps up-to-date with latest developments in recertification process for property.
Resident Management (Depending on On-Site vs. Off-Site)
· Attends and participates in outside or in-house activities, meetings, organizations, regulatory agency meetings or inspections, etc. as required by the needs of the property and as directed by the Property Supervisor to enhance the sense of community at the property and to enhance the public image of the property.
· Promotes harmonious relations among residents, staff, vendors, and persons of the larger community.
· Maintains congenial relationships with all residents, is understanding of and sensitive to cultural background, economic status, those with special needs, and adheres to Fair Housing, Equal Employment and Equal Housing Opportunity requirements.
· Develops a sense of community among property residents by maintaining good resident-to-resident relationships, staff-to resident relationships, staff-to-staff relationships, and nurturing positive interactions and activities at the property.
· Ensures all site staff responds to all resident requests or complaints in a timely, efficient and courteous manner. Receives work order repair requests, schedules repairs with maintenance staff, and follows up to be certain repairs were completed properly and in a timely manner.
· Manages resident evictions in compliance with court order and directions from Management
· Property Manager represents the property to local social service agencies and funding sources, as requested by Management
· Manages the day-to-day administration of the property office, including answering telephones during normal business hours; interacting with residents in a courteous and professional manner; sorting, distributing, opening and answering mail daily; coding invoices daily; and handling resident inquiries and concerns. Ensures the office is clean and well organized, and that it and the staff are presentable to the public.
· Exercises common sense, good judgment, consistency and self-control in day-to-day contact with residents and in other business-related matters.
· Ensures consistent application of property rules and regulations, lease and lease addenda.
· Documents and reports all violations in the property log.
· Ensures proper maintenance and storage of property files and records.
· Ensures that all property staff adhere to all systems, procedures, timelines and formats including the filing systems, business correspondence, purchasing procedures, rental collections, recertifications with proper documentation, property maintenance records, personnel procedures required, etc.
· Collects, analyzes and reports the statistical data as requested to provide an accurate and current assessment of the property and its needs.
· Ensures that any emergency that may arise on site is responded to promptly and assigns staff, including self, to be available in this event. Completes online incident reports and forwards to Management within 24 hours.
· Posts all licenses, permits, notices and occupancy permits required by federal, state and local jurisdictions.
· Attends trade association meetings and seminars to keep up to date on trends and changing conditions, as requested and/or required by Management.
· Communicates all problems and resolves them or make recommendations to Management for resolution.
· Bachelor’s Degree, Associate Degree or certificate of completion from a trade school required; or commensurate education and experience.
· Tax Credit Specialist and Certified Occupancy Specialist required; or ability to become certified within six months of employment at company expense.
· Five or more years of affordable multifamily residential property management experience
· Three or more years of prior experience supervising a team of multiple staff members.
· Current knowledge of Fair Housing laws; required to pass FHA test within first 60 days
· Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office Software (Word, Excel) and G Suite (Google Docs, Google Sheets)
· Basic mathematical skills (e.g. add, subtract, multiply, divide, calculate percentages, etc.)
· Proficiency in reading, writing, and speaking English
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with ability to prioritize assignments to meet deadlines
· Demonstrated ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and regulatory agreements.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in person, via phone, and in writing with the site staff and internal partners, external vendors, and groups of residents. Ability to take direction to complete assigned tasks independently, and ability to meet deadlines using demonstrated time management skills.
· Must possess a valid Driver’s License, reliable transportation, and current proof of insurance.