Resident Civil Engineer
- Posted: over a month ago
Now Hiring – Civil Engineer
For Residency in Haines, AK
Are you a highly motivated and outgoing civil engineer who is interested in building a practice and client base in one of the most beautiful communities in Alaska? Do you desire an opportunity to become a leader in a young, but rapidly growing firm? Are you willing to take on a wide range of projects, from street reconstruction to residential septic system design?
If so, join proHNS LLC in our Haines office to take on a variety of challenging civil design and construction administration projects.
This position will manage a variety of interesting projects and hone your Haines Office skills in site development, production of construction drawings and specifications, design of utilities, and construction of government-owned facilities. Most of our projects include all aspects of civil engineering design through on-site construction inspection and contract administration. As a bonus, you will have the opportunity for occasional travel within Alaska and to support projects in remote areas.
Haines is a small, picturesque town of about 2,400 people where the community comes first. Acting with integrity both in and out of the workplace is essential to succeeding in this position and continuing to grow our current client base. This job requires professionalism, out-of-the-box thinking, open communication, and a willingness to push the limits of one’s expertise. For the right candidate, this is a position that allows for putting down lasting roots in Haines while also continuing to grow with proHNS.
Currently, proHNS has an office in Haines which is managed and staffed by our Creative Director. We are looking to add a licensed civil engineer to provide a local technical presence to support our operations in Haines and elsewhere in Southeast Alaska. We anticipate the need to hire additional seasonal and or permanent staff to help complete projects managed by the Haines branch.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and resolving problems.
- Coordinate a team of engineering technicians and subordinate staff engineers during projects.
- Prepare fee/goal proposals for new projects.
- Provide overall project management.
- Delegate project assignments to engineers and technicians.
- Manage budgets and schedules.
- Perform engineering calculations in support of design projects.
- Manage all engineering aspects of new land development projects.
- Coordinate and perform CAD drafting in support of civil engineering projects.
- Design and analyze projects using AutoCAD Civil 3D, EPANET 2, and other software as required.
- Coordinate with government agencies, clients, and other professionals to obtain information and approvals.
- Prepare and route project-related correspondence and perform project recordkeeping.
- Conduct periodic site visits to construction sites to monitor the quality and progress of the work.
- Write and review technical construction specifications and engineering reports.
- Tabulate construction bid quantities from plans and specifications. Estimate construction costs.
- Consistently exercise discretion and judgment in all work tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or similar field.
- Alaska Professional Civil Engineer License or ability to obtain within one year.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Ability to work seamlessly in a teamwork setting and to lead other staff working from locations outside of the position’s assigned office.
- Strong written and oral English skills necessary to communicate with clients, co-workers, and contractors.
- Valid U.S. driver's license and good driving record.
- Provide three professional or personal references.
Preferred Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD Civil 3D and other engineering software applications.
- Solid time management skills and ability to produce accurate, high-quality work in an efficient manner.
- Experience working with or for Federal, State, or Local government agencies.
- Experience with Primavera P6 or other CPM scheduling software.
- Technical expertise in structural engineering, bridge design, fish passage & hydraulic design, water/wastewater facility design, or transportation engineering.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific and technical journals. Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to clients, co-workers, and the public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, overtime when needed, and attending after-hour events such as local government public meetings. Position work schedule shall be based on actual workloads and employee preferred work schedule.
- Willingness and ability to perform site visits and construction inspections in a variety of outdoor settings and climate conditions.
- Ability to occasionally travel away from home for a few days to a few weeks at a time using a commercial airlines, smaller airplanes, helicopters, or boats.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use hands to handle or feel.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Competitive hourly wage, overtime premium rate eligible.
- Eligible for annual performance bonuses.
- Paid personal leave.
- Employer-provided relocation stipend.
- Employer-paid training, certifications, and professional memberships.
- 401k Retirement program.
- Health Insurance
- Employer-paid lodging, per diem, and travel for work assignments outside of position location.
- Professional advancement opportunities are available within the organization.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $45.00+ per hour, DOE
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?