Imagine the future you could help us build.
Teamwork, not just tech work. We are tech futurists and business geniuses. Together, we solve problems to make daily life easier. We are looking for a few more great minds to join our team as we continue to grow one of the world's leading consumer robot companies.
Together, we empower people to do more.
IntroductionFurther develop and challenge your career with one of the worlds foremost leaders in diverse consumer robotics. We are continually creating robotic products that improve and enhance lives.
We are currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join the Physical Solutions Module within the R&D engineering organization at iRobot.
In this role, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for creating new and innovative consumer robotic technologies and subsystems that radically change the performance, affordability, and reliability of our future products.
Essential Functions/Job Duties:
- Engineer and design the latest cutting-edge technology that will go into future iRobot products
- Work within agile cross-functional teams supporting consumer centric design solutions from early concept up to productization ensuring iRobots technology pipeline is supplying growth and innovation for the future
- Verify and validate design solutions utilizing rapid and conventional prototyping methods using both on-site machine and RP shops as well as quick turn tools
- Analyze, research, and resolve complex design challenges while balancing technical risks, cost, and product integrity
- Identify, manage, and mitigate technical risks for future programs through collaboration and transparency throughout the organization
- Generate mechanical layouts, detailed part, and assembly designs using 3-D CAD tools
- Thoroughly document learnings to effectively communicate throughout the organization
- Lead small teams of varied engineering and technical backgrounds to bring designs to completion
- Create clever, practical solutions using robust engineering practices to help create IP to strengthen iRobots market leadership
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years of experience designing electromechanical systems where DFA/DFM is critical
- 3+ years of experience in the consumer products, robotics, or other related industry
- A history of developing and validating innovative solutions to complex multidisciplinary problems working collaboratively with others both inside and outside the immediate engineering team.
- The ability to lead a small team, organize work, communicate, and prioritize effectively
- The ability to effectively contribute to large and small teams with various roles and responsibilities in a dynamic and fast pace problem solving environment
- Strong CAD skills and experience working with product data management systems
- Expertise in assessment of part variation and use of tolerance analysis and statistical process control to predict assembly outcomes
- Domestic and International travel may be needed on an infrequent basis
- Experience generating high quality design documentation (CAD, detailed drawings, specifications) to effectively define and communicate design intent
- Creative out of the box thinker who is not afraid to make mistakes, bring up new radical ideas, or give/receive candid feedback
- The ability to work with his/her hands to create prototypes of amazing products that have never existed before and solve real world problems for customers
- MS in Mechanical Engineering or other related advanced degree
- 5+ years of experience in an industry with design for high volume manufacturing
- Experience with PTC Creo and Windchill is a plus
- The ability to perform FEA/CFD analysis within ANSYS or other software platforms
- Design integration experience with industrial design, user experience, and ergonomics
- Understanding of and the ability to use risk ranking and risk management tools to drive design direction and decisions (DFMEA, RRCA, Six Sigma)
- Experience with systems where airflow is crucial to overall performance
- Understanding of engineering methodology for product reliability and associated validation testing
- GD&T experience and understanding
- Experience with and able to utilize rapid prototyping methods and equipment (3d printers, Dremel, laser cutters, bandsaw, etc)