Plant Engineer III
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Estimated start date: ASAP
Estimated Duration: 1 year
Plant: Indian River
Physical Location: Indian River Generating Station
Job Location: On-site
Provide support for process improvements, performance monitoring, root cause analysis, engineering, and construction activities, and operating and maintenance functions to ensure safe and efficient plant operation.
Summary of Plant Equipment:
• Large steam turbine generators and related systems including but not limited to steam driven boiler feed pump turbine systems, extraction steam systems, lube oil systems, mechanical hydraulic control systems, control air systems, supervisory systems, water induction protection systems, gland steam systems, hydrogen seal oil and gas systems, and generator stator cooling systems.
• Large pumps and associated systems such as high volume/low head circulating water pumps, multi-stage vertical pit pumps, multi-stage high head boiler feed pumps, and other simpler pump applications.
• Large heat exchanger applications such as shell and tube feedwater heaters, direct contact deaerating heaters, condensers, and other heat exchange applications.
• Knowledge of the concepts, construction, and operation of the turbine process steam cycle as it relates to a fossil steam power plant including basic thermodynamics.
• Overall operation and maintenance of large rotating equipment including but not limited to: bearing operation and maintenance, precision alignment of rotating equipment couplings, vibration analysis and balancing, and non-destructive examination techniques for materials.
• Provide direction to operations and maintenance departments to ensure that plant equipment remains reliable. This includes both technical and financial decisions which impact the overall unit availability and cost control.
• Provide technical support, testing and inspection expertise within their assigned process areas to ensure safe, reliable, and efficient plant operation.
• Optimize station equipment operation to meet key performance indicators
• Develop O&M and Capital budgets for the process equipment. Assemble ten-year plans and budgets for projects to establish accurate projected cash flows out into the future.
• Develop strategic plans for equipment overhauls to optimize equipment life and time between overhauls.
• Develop outage schedules, coordinate and perform outage inspections for all process equipment.
• Utilize predictive and preventative maintenance (PM/PDM) techniques to monitor and improve equipment. Evaluate and analyze process variables to identify status and trending of key operating parameters.
• Conduct root cause analysis of equipment problems and provide recommendations to prevent future incidents. Assemble all equipment failure reports.
• Develop, review & revise station procedures & technical instructions and documentation of equipment testing and inspections.
• Provide engineering, design, economic justification, and specify parts and materials for projects and modifications. Implement projects and process modifications.
• Conduct procedure training as required within their process.
• Interface with outside engineering resources on an “as-needed” basis.
• Work effectively in a team environment as a leader, member and/or facilitator.
• Perform other duties and assignments as required.
Five years experience in technical support of power plant processes preferred
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (In lieu of degree, a high school diploma and an equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered).
• Thorough understanding of Power Plant processes and equipment and the interrelationships between them.
• Overall understanding of Power Plant operations and maintenance requirements.
• Thorough knowledge of the operation, maintenance, and control of plant systems and equipment specific to the process area of the position. (e.g. Boilers and related auxiliary equipment, Turbine-Generators and related auxiliary equipment, Balance of Plant systems and equipment, Fuel Handling Systems and equipment, Electrical systems and equipment, Instrument & Controls systems, Plant Chemistry control and Water Treatment systems)
• Ability to effectively supervise, train and direct others (peers, employees, contractors/vendors) in an understandable, clear and consistent manner
• Ability to read and understand technical information, prints and engineering data, interpret charts, graphs, and gauge scales. Ability to troubleshoot and repair equipment and systems.
• Risk management - able to make good judgment on the utilization of sometimes limited resources.
• Thorough knowledge of root cause analysis and proficient in technical report writing.
• Proficient in the use of PC, and Windows & Microsoft Office applications with particular emphasis on spreadsheet, scheduling, equipment performance and word processing programs.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
• This position is a combination of work in office and industrial settings.
• Must be able to wear required personal protection equipment (PPE) such as hard hats, safety glasses, goggles, face shields, hearing protection, respirators, fall protection harnesses, and other PPE as required
• Duties require extensive manual dexterity in the use of computer terminal and keyboard while sitting for long periods of time preparing budgets, work scopes, outage schedules, and other reports as needed.
• May be required to perform equipment inspections by climbing vertical ladders in excess of 20 feet and stairways in excess of 50 feet, using step stools, kneeling, bending, walking over uneven surfaces such as loose rock, open grating, up and down staircases.
• May be required to prepare and conduct training, including mentoring individuals one-on-one. In conducting training, the specialist may be required to carry training materials, and to stand for extended periods of time.
The Empyrean Group is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other protected status.
ManufacturingView all jobs at empyrean services