Managing Scientist, Essential Oils
dōTERRA has an immediate need for a Managing Scientist over Essential Oils, who will work within the Research and Development team and report to the Director of Research and Development. This is a full-time position.
This position is responsible for supervising development and formulation scientists on the essential oils development team. Will also have responsibility for formulation of new essential oil products, developing essential oil blends used in personal care and dietary supplement products, maintaining and improving existing products and processes and for supporting essential oil research, safety, and usage.
- Manage the essential oils group within the R&D team, and communicate needs to the department Director
- Oversee evaluation and implementation of new essential oils and oil blends that are effective and safe based on global marketing objectives and product strategy.
- Oversee development of new and reformulated essential oil products that are delivered within cost, performance and schedule requirements for markets around the world.
- Provide technical leadership in cross-functional product development teams (Marketing, Operations, QA/QC, Regulatory) to create new product concepts and profiles, and formulate new products accordingly. Help teams identify project objectives, deliverables and tasks, assumptions, and project milestones. Conduct formal and informal meetings with project team members to ensure that critical path tasks are being completed on a timely basis.
- Help conduct feasibility and plant trials during development of products containing essential oils; establish specifications, stability, safety, and quality requirements.
- Maintain the existing line of dōTERRA essential oil products internationally. Promptly address any formulation or other issues.
- Ensure all dōTERRA essential oil products and labels are in compliance with applicable state, federal and global (if applicable) laws and regulations.
- Develop and maintain network relationships with external experts and organizations in the area of essential oil product formulation and research.
- In collaboration with the Sourcing department, solicit and evaluate new essential oils, product ideas and new technologies for essential oil delivery systems.
- Support essential oil research by helping design new studies; evaluate safety and usage recommendations and review scientific literature to develop recommendations.
- Oversee the analysis of essential oil analytical data and help develop new technologies for the evaluation of the production, composition and safety of essential oils
- Prepare and deliver educational information (presentations, articles, etc.) and participate in outreach programs to disseminate essential oil and other product information. May require travel.
- PhD or M.S. preferred in Physiology, Chemistry, or other applicable science (or equivalent with B.S. degree and experience).
- 4 or more years industry experience with essential oil products is preferred
- Experience in performing essential oil research and/or managing other scientists required.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and develop successful scientists is required.
- Demonstrated ability to develop successful essential oil products.
- Industry experience with international development and various regulatory environments preferred.
- Awareness of quality assurance and quality control industry practices as well as practical knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and other relevant industry regulations.
- Familiarity and/or experience with Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry or other separation chemistry methods.
- Awareness of manufacturing and packaging processes for various dosage forms of essential oil or related products.
- Able to read and interpret scientific studies and to support the design of new studies
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be a team player and able to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Ability to work well under pressure of balancing multiple project assignments.
We recognize that our employees choose to invest part of their time with us, and we want them to feel like we are investing in them as well. With a strong family-centered culture and a state-of-the-art campus that includes a cafeteria, fitness center, employee health clinic, childcare facilities, and nature park, doTERRA makes the joy, growth, and development of each employee a top priority.
Why Work Here?As the verified leader in the Global Aromatherapy and Essential Oils market, doTERRA hires the most talented and knowledgeable individuals for our teams. From research scientists to designers, we are looking for people eager to make their mark on a rapidly expanding company with a culture of giving at its core. We recognize that our employees choose to invest part of their time with us, and we want them to feel like we are investing in them as well. With a strong family-centered culture and a state-of-the-art campus that includes a cafeteria, fitness center, employee health clinic, childcare facilities, and nature park, doTERRA makes the joy, growth, and development of each employee a top priority.
Great environment, family-friendly culture, hardworking employees. People matter here. Named a top US employer by Forbes.
Pleasant Grove, UT