The Property Accountant will lead a Team responsible for the consolidation of the monthly results, internal monthly reporting, balance sheet reconciliation reviews, ad hoc analysis, accounting research, maintenance of the general ledger and support for the home office departments.
The Property Accountant will lead a Team that comprises property managers as well as back-office accounting.
Responsibilities: Senior Property Accountant will be responsible for ten key finance functions, as outlined below, plus many others.
1. Consolidation of the monthly results. The month-end close process is accomplished in 10 days after which the results are supplied to the Partners in monthly reports. The timeliness and accuracy of these results are critical to the company and the Team.
2. Coordination of all accounting related activities, such as the monthly close process, with the back-office accounting team. The Property Manager will be responsible for working closely with the Accounting Manager to ensure all work is being performed timely and accurately.
3. Weekly revenue and gross margin reporting. The weekly revenue and gross margin results are distributed internally and are used extensively by the Management Team to make decisions that impact the direction of the company. The accountant leads this process with the Back-Office Accounting Team in providing insights into the weekly results and presenting them to certain members of the Management Team.
4. Balance sheet reconciliations. The accountants are responsible for maintaining the integrity of the balance sheet reconciliations. The Senior Manager is responsible for a thorough understanding of the contents of the balance sheet accounts, reviewing the reconciliations on a monthly basis, providing guidance and training for the accountants where needed, researching and explaining all variances and keeping the SVP, Business Services and Controller fully updated on any material issues.
5. Fixed assets. The Accounting Manager is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the fixed asset system and overseeing the continual improvements being made to the book and tax asset ledger process.
6. Ad hoc analysis. The Accounting Team receives numerous requests each month for analysis on accounts or activity within the company that has not analyzed previously. The property Accountant is responsible for understanding the various requests, assigning the work to the appropriate accountant, setting a realistic deadline for completion of the work, assessing the relative importance of the requests and ultimately reporting the end result.
7. Accounting research. From time to time a new transaction or event will take place that requires accounting research. The Accounting Manager may be asked from time to time to perform accounting research, document the company’s position and gain approval from the external auditors.
8. General ledger maintenance. The company currently uses Yardi Voyager and MRI for its general ledger. Due to the importance of the general ledger in the Accounting Team for reporting the monthly results, performing the balance sheet reconciliations and ad hoc analysis, the Senior Manager, working with the I/T Team, is responsible for maintaining the data integrity of the system. entries, analysis and other reporting aspects of these highly visible plans.
Measures for Performance:1. Implementation of tight controls and procedures surrounding the month end close process to ensure timely, accurate and in-depth analysis of the company’s financial results by the end of the 10th.
2. Development of a streamlined and standardized process for the creation and distribution of a monthly internal financial package to the internal company management team and to the parent company.
3. Implementation and continued maintenance and improvement of tight controls and procedures surrounding the monthly balance sheet reconciliation process to ensure timely, accurate and in-depth analysis of the various company balance sheet accounts.
4. Implementation of a systematic review for the payroll tax and fixed asset processes, analysis and balance sheet reconciliations to ensure integrity of the data. Implementation of daily / weekly checks and balances to ensure the data integrity of the Yardi Voyager general ledger system. This process will provide a high level of assurance that the files from the various other operations of the company such as billing, payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable are properly received and posted.
5.Maintenance and improvement of the monthly process whereby the Accounting Team meets with the key management team members to discuss their department spending and initiatives, to better understand their costs relative to their budgets and their future spending plans and to provide a liaison between the departments.
1. Excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills
2. Excellent coaching, mentoring and motivating skills
3. Strong knowledge of technology and how to leverage within business
4. Understanding and willingness to work in the details where necessary
5. Financial modeling experience relevant to reporting, analysis a
6. Disciplined approach in developing and implementing standardized processes and procedures to drive results. Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines. Passion for results and improving the status quo