The Berkshire Hathaway Group of Insurance Companies is looking for an actuarial analyst to support functions across various insurtech initiatives such as biBERK (www.biberk.com) and THREE (www.threeinsurance.com). This person will be part of a small, fast-paced team and gain exposure to many parts of the company. The ideal candidate will be able to juggle multiple priorities with accuracy and have an entrepreneurial spirit. They will support Pricing, Business Analysis and Product Development units and serve as a technical resource in the development and testing of rating and policy administration systems for assigned lines of business.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Designs and/or initiates analyses, compiles data and computes statistics for use in statistical rating studies. Compilations may require downloading and manipulating data from mainframe, vendor, and company developed software application databases. Applies advanced levels of knowledge of mathematics, statistics, principles of finance and business to casualty insurance problems. Develops methods of tracking rate history experience, statistical information, etc. from company data and other industry sources to study rate level indications in states and nationwide as initiated by the individual or management.
· Initiates analyses and proposes changes in rate levels and rating structures based on statistical analyses, company experience, competition, market conditions, legal climate and underwriting practices to management and underwriting.
· Revises company rate manual pages according to decisions of management and underwriting recommending appropriate cost components for use in statistical studies such as loss development factors, trend factors increased limit factors, expense loads, etc.
· Compiles exhibits, explanations, justifications and statistical analysis for the submission of company rate filings, state filing forms and manual pages to the Insurance Departments. Oversees actuarial filing submissions, answers routine questions and otherwise assists in answering more difficult inquiries from Insurance Departments regarding submission, such as actuarial justification of filed rates, etc.
· Researches, interprets, and communicates state law requirements affecting coverages. Submits complex issues to manager and/or actuarial or regulatory personnel for review.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
· Performs related duties as directed or as situation dictates such as special actuarial projects, monitoring regulatory and legislative activities affecting filing requirements, reviewing materials such as industry organization journals, material received from service organizations, insurance departments, etc.
· Bachelor degree in mathematics or related field or equivalent experience
· Personal computer related spreadsheet software
· Excellent oral and written communication
· Computer proficiency
· 1-2 years related work experience
· 1-2 passed actuarial exams preferred
· Health insurance
· Dental insurance
· Vision insurance
· Retirement plan
· Paid time off
· Professional development assistance
· Tuition reimbursement
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Job Type: Full-time