- Utilize various OEM tools and diagnostic equipment to make the most effective recommendations for repairs on multiple makes and models
- Act as a subject matter expert and adequately explain technical diagnoses and needed repairs to non-mechanical individuals on a consistent basis
- Ability to quickly learn how to evaluate information and data to provide comprehensive interpretation of technical information, electrical components and Advanced Safety Systems (ADAS)
- Proficient in identification of faults, error messages, module corrections, etc.
- Continuously learn new technical information and techniques in e-learning or other training sessions in an effort to stay well-informed with rapidly changing automotive technology
- Responsible for test driving and/or moving customer vehicles at shop locations
- Utilize understanding of the structure and practices of various types of repair facilities, body shops, insurance carriers to facilitate effective working relationships
- Coordinate with fellow technicians in performing in depth diagnostic test plans
- Keep team management aware of mechanical and electrical repair problems as they occur
- Adhere to all company and shop policy, procedure, safety and environmental rules
- Ensure compliance utilizing basic knowledge of applicable local, state and ferdal laws
- 2-3 years of car dealership experience OR experience in an aftermarket repair facility as an Automotive Technician
- OEM scan tool and/or after market scan tool experience and knowledge
- Proficient in identification of faults, error messages and modules
- Strong automotive mechanical and electrical diagnosis, problem-solving and repair experience
- Must have company designated certifications or obtain within 6 months: ASE, I-Car, MECP
- Current, valid driver’s license and satisfactory Motor Vehicle Report (MVR)
- Basic computer skills and understanding of Microsoft Office
- Self-motivated, high energy and a customer-focused perspective
- In depth understanding of automotive industry and various manufacturer acronyms and lingo
- Proficient in customer reporting
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
Reports to: Group Leader, In Shop
Location: Various locations throughout the United States
Supervisory Responsibility: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
FLSA Status: This position is non-exempt.
Work Environment: This job operates inside an automotive repair shop environments that may be cold, hot, noisy, and wet and may have fumes or odors due to vehicle maintenance.
Physical Demands: Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds independently; majority of lifting from knee to shoulder heights; other lifting required from various levels.
- Must be able to carry and transport up to 50 pounds up to 20 feet.
- Requires standing for extended period of time with frequent stretching, reaching, walking and stooping, pushing and/or pulling in an environment that may be cold, hot, noisy, and wet and may have fumes or odors due to vehicle maintenance.
- Requires excellent visual acuity and manual dexterity.
- Requires use of safety equipment that may include but not limited to face shield or goggles, non-slip shoes, gloves, mask, and other protective garments and equipment.
- Requires frequent driving and some typing. Required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles.
Travel: Some travel within the assigned geographic area is expected.
EEO Statement: The Company provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover all possible activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.