The Data Engineering Manager will facilitate partnerships with other technical teams (Engineering, Analytics and Data Science teams), guiding them towards adoption of improved infrastructure, best practices and enhanced capabilities. Central teams at ZipRecruiter place an emphasis on a Site/Data Reliability Engineering approach, emphasizing automation over toil, enablement of teams over “closing tickets”, and root cause over “fixing bugs”.
As a team manager, you will partner with your technical leads to set technical strategy, prioritize efforts, and foster a team dynamic that drives successful projects. As a people manager, you will find/create opportunities for your team members to grow in their roles and collaborate with other team members. The ideal candidate for this role understands how to leverage their technical skills in order to help their team stay on the “right track” rather than become a technical bottleneck and can focus the team on projects that provide strategic value to the business in the long run.
What you'll be doing:
- Build and grow a distributed team (US and Tel Aviv offices) of hardworking and motivated engineers with an emphasis on ownership, throughput and leverage
- Develop, mentor and motivate a team of Data Engineers to build, test and refine data processing and storage solutions
- Foster a collaborative culture for the Data team that embodies both industry best practices and Ziprecruiter values
- Work with engineering teams to understand and anticipate their current and future data needs, identifying scalable, self-service oriented solutions- data teams should become enablers, not gatekeepers
- Work with technical leads to set technical strategies and prioritize efforts
- Manage daily operations of the team: create a focus on team priorities while effectively managing interrupt- driven work.
- Devise strategies to drive team adoption of new infrastructure and design patterns that are in line with company and technology goals
- Foster an automation-oriented approach to solving problems, improving environment consistency and quality of life for on-call engineers
- Foster a culture that uses metrics to make evidence-based conclusions and guide change
What we're looking for:
- Experience growing and managing teams, with an emphasis on team cohesion and throughput
- Proficient with Linux systems and cloud environment, preferably AWS
- Deep understanding of data engineering best practices, data stores, and data processing pipelines
- Deep understanding of CI/CD methodologies with an emphasis on the creation of tooling and automation
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced operational environment, inspire change, and collaborate with a variety of teams and organizational partners
- Highly motivated self-starter with bias to action and passion for delivering high-quality data solutions
- A deep appreciation of the Site/Data Reliability engineering approach
- Attention to detail and quality with excellent problem solving and communication skills
- A fun work environment
- Opportunities for advancement as our young company grows
- Competitive salary
- Generous bonus plan
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Competitive benefits package
- Healthy snacks
- Local gym discount
- Attractive paid time off policy - Open/Flexible vacation policy
ZipRecruiter is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V). All applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. This organization uses E-Verify.