Expired: 29 days ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Chemist - Pilot Plant Chemist Co-op
This position is a developmental role, providing college level students an opportunity to practically employ and supplement their course work in a chemical pilot plant environment of our R&D facility in Louisville, KY. Typically, the co-op arrangement is established in the Sophomore year of college and rotates semesters thereafter for three co-op experiences of greater responsibility.
- Performs standardized or prescribed assignments involving a sequence of related operations. Conducts a variety of standardized tests and operations.
- May prepare test samples and specimens; sets up and operates pilot plant polymerization and finishing equipment.
- Will make up chemicals used in polymerization and finishing process.
- Records test data.
- Maintains supplies inventory and orders replacements as needed.
- Discusses abnormal operation or quality problems with the scientists or supervisor and makes recommendation for enhancements.
- Participates in housekeeping duties necessary to keep area orderly and safe.
- Records, computes and analyzes test data.
- Performs experiments or tests which require nonstandard procedures and complex instrumentation.
- Under supervision
Modifies standard equipment to meet special technical requirements.
Builds and tests experimental equipment, apparatus or systems of considerable complexity.
Performs required preventative maintenance, daily system checks and minor maintenance on equipment as directed by test methods and/or troubleshooting flow diagrams.
- Compliance with all Research and Development Safety, Health, Environment and Quality policies and procedures.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by the scientist/engineer or higher level technician.
- Good Chemical Hygiene practices are critical, and adhering to safe laboratory practice is a must.
- Regular attendance is essential for satisfactory performance in this position.
Some course work that would have required lab experience. This is work in a pilot plant, so hands on chemistry lab experience is a must. This is to insure they have had basic lab safety and technique training prior to Zeon.
With the exception of titrations, the type of testing that will be done is not standard to a college laboratory. They will be mixing solutions, measuring pH and total solids, weighing up chemicals, and assisting in the running of reactions. They should understand pressure differences, as many of the reactions are run under pressure, and the movement of chemicals will depend on the opening and closing of valves that are effected by pressure. These systems also will involve vacuum pressure, so an understanding of pressure above and below 1 ATM is important.
Education: Sophomore Level ideal – others considered; Chemistry or Chemical Engineering; rotating semesters for three co-op experiences of increasing responsibility.
This coop will report to either the Pilot Plant Engineer or Pilot Plant Chemist, depending on their Background.
Hours- This is a 40 hour per week position (or minimum 4 days/week). Specific hours are dictated by experiments being run.
Pay Rate – $16.00/Hour - Note: Benefits not available in Co-op status.
Leadership, Innovation, Solutions, Zeon Chemicals is the leading developer and supplier of innovative polymers, including synthetic elastomers and specialty chemicals and other selected products used in countless applications worldwide. We develop superior elastomers for the hottest parts of automotive engines, polymers for longer lasting laser printer rolls, synthetic rubber to survive oil wells' most aggressive fluids and cyclo-olefin plastics for today's advanced medical and electronic applications.
Screening Requirements: Physical Exam including Drug Screen, Background Check.
Zeon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. Please apply online at: www.zeonchemicals.com
Zeon Chemicals LP
Louisville,KY 40211 USA
Get fresh Chemist jobs daily straight to your inbox!
Thanks for letting us know
Your feedback helps keep ZipRecruiter safe.
Learn more about how to recognize common online scams