Development Specialist at Youth Opportunities Unlimited
- Division: Development and Communications
- Reports To: Vice President, Development and Communications
- Type: Full-time, exempt. Work outside normal business hours may be required at times.
Since 1982, over 150,000 youth have been helped with Youth Opportunities Unlimited (Y.O.U.) programs. Y.O.U. helps teens and young adults, ages 14-24 living in economically distressed communities succeed by providing educational and workforce opportunities, skills development, and access to career pathways. We offer school-based and community-based programs designed to meet the needs of Northeast Ohio employers, with a focus on those industry sectors that provide the most opportunities for career success. At Y.O.U., we are dedicated to excellence and continuous improvement of the quality of our services to youth, employers, and the community.
We are deeply committed to providing services in Northeast Ohio through:
- Equal Access to Opportunities – Teens and young adults living in economically distressed communities deserve support in confronting barriers to success.
- Collaboration – We can accomplish more when we form mutually beneficial partnerships across sectors to deliver an effective continuum of services.
- Excellence & Continuous Improvement – Evidence-based practices guide our actions and delivery of quality services to youth and employers.
We are currently looking for a Development Specialist who is passionate about Y.O.U.’s mission and vision! The Development Specialist takes full ownership and maintenance of Y.O.U.’s donor databases, ensuring all constituent records are accurate, updated, and clean. In addition, the Development Specialist supports fundraising efforts to include producing donor solicitation and acknowledgement letters, tracking of donor pledges and sending reminders, and generating donor lists for various campaigns. This person will routinely communicate with prospective and regular donors via email/phone and will assist with all development event planning, logistics, and coordination as needed. This position serves as an integral member of the Development and Communications team. We are looking for individuals who possess a high degree of database management, customer service, and organization skills.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field or an Associate’s Degree with 5 years of work experience as outlined below.
- At least 2 years of database administration preferably with Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge, or other relationship management system.
- Must have experience working across teams and at various organizational levels.
- Must have a high level of integrity and ability to use good judgement and discretion in handling sensitive and confidential information.
- Must have eligibility to work and remain in the U.S. without sponsorship.
- Must have reliable transportation to drive to various work sites.
- Must pass a background BCI/FBI check as a condition of employment.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Belief and commitment to Y.O.U.’s mission, vision, and values.
- Highly organized for maintaining paper and electronic files, data, and databases.
- Must be detail-oriented, analytical, and data proficient.
- Efficient at using computer programs and relationship management systems for record keeping.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to build relationships and rapport with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- Proven ability to build deep relationships and partner cross-functionally within the organization.
- Critical and strategic thinker with ability to problem solve.
- Solution-oriented, adaptable, and flexible.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once. Able to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of team under minimal supervision.
- Manage the Y.O.U. donor databases, including maintenance of database integrity, procedural recommendations, donor information updates, and data clean-up.
- Oversee all data entry into the system, including event revenue, grants, cash donations, and in-kind donations and ensure gifts are acknowledged in a timely manner.
- Manage conversion of donor files from old system to new system.
- Create and maintain database procedures manual and provide ongoing training for staff members on updates.
- Serve as the development team liaison to the database company.
- Perform account reconciliation back-up for the finance department.
- Prepare, update, and issue acknowledgement letters to donors in a timely manner.
- Create queries, reports, and analysis for the leadership team.
- Manage the online gift process.
- Manage the de-duping process for donors, ensuring accurate records are maintained.
- Assist VP, Development & Communications with all Annual Appeal solicitations including mailings, e-solicitations, reporting, and tracking.
- Supervise the migration of all the information daily in and out of the database.
- Assist staff with tracking and overseeing event transactions.
- Provide support at Y.O.U. events as requested.
- Assist with public relations and fund development activities as requested.
- Other duties and projects as assigned and required.
- Competitive salary for the industry.
- Engaged staff centered on Y.O.U. mission and vision.
- Medical, dental, vision, retirement, and long and short-term disability benefits.
- Generous paid time off policy.
- Office is located in the heart of Cleveland’s Playhouse Square district. Monthly parking pass provided.
All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.