Audit & Assurance Supervisor
You chart the course; we help you lift off. At YHB, we aren't limited by small-firm constraints or stuck in the big-firm mentality. Our culture is based on relationships between our teams and our clients. We aim to hire great people who want to take ownership of their careers while we help to provide the tools for success.
Assurance Supervisors are responsible for the completion of various aspects of assurance engagements that have been assigned to them while developing subject matter expertise. They will begin to lead teams in understanding new assurance and accounting developments. They will take responsibility for the supervision and review of Associates’ workpapers prior to Manager review.
INDUSTRY FOCUS: Construction / Manufacturing / Real-Estate
Roles and Responsibilities
Technical Expertise and Work Quality
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the technical aspects and issues related to their functional and industry specialization.
- Follow YHB guidance regarding secure use of hardware, software, and client information. Hold Associates accountable for protecting YHB assets and information.
- Maintain proficiency and identify efficiency with relevant firm technical resources and computer applications. Demonstrate effective use of these resources and use file and workpaper organization techniques.
- Continually strive to develop and maintain a high level of technical competence.
- Be capable of drafting professional correspondence to clients and superiors on complex subject matter.
- Draft formal communications that contribute to the planning and completion of the assurance engagement.
- Prepare workpapers that are neat, organized, and cross-referenced.
- Review workpapers prepared by Associates for accuracy, content, reasonable procedures, and supportable conclusions.
- Assign Assurance sections for Associates, allowing you to complete more technical and challenging Assurance sections.
- Complete assignments on time and within budget.
- Assign review comments to Associates on the engagements and verify the review comments have been appropriately addressed.
- Address review comments from the Manager and/or Principal.
- Provide input in the planning aspects of the engagement to improve quality and efficiency.
- Assist in preparation of current file and financial reporting requirements, if applicable to the engagement.
- Evaluate engagement performance and formalize suggestions for improvement of next year’s engagement.
- Communicate with team members on job responsibilities (i.e., equipment responsibilities, dress code, and basic understanding of client) prior to arrival.
Client Management and Service
- Maintain the complete confidentiality of firm and client information.
- Demonstrate an ability to work under time constraints; provide as much flexibility as possible when needed to meet client expectations and deadlines.
- Present yourself and your work product to clients and co-workers in a professional manner.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of clients’ business needs by identifying issues and discussing resolutions with in-charge employees and implementing resolutions throughout the engagement process.
- Keep Managers, Principals, and Client Management informed of the engagement progress and issues as they develop.
- Develop and maintain strong, positive client relationships through timely communication during the engagement as well as periodic communication throughout the year.
- A commitment to respond to clients within 24 hours.
- Maintain daily time entry for accurate reporting firm wide.
- Recognize that practice expansion comes from existing clients as well as potential clients.
- Actively develop own referral network, recognizing that every interpersonal encounter may provide a business development opportunity.
- Participate in civic/professional organizations, as well as YHB marketing activities.
- Continue to gain an understanding of service capabilities.
- Develop a network of contacts and seek ways to increase firm visibility.
- Represent YHB publicly by accepting speaking opportunities, authoring articles for industry literature, YHB newsletters, etc.
Personal Participation and Professional Development
- Assume responsibility for career growth by preparing personal development plans, tracking personal marketing activities, new business generation, identification of continuing education strategies, etc.
- Accept constructive input from and offer constructive feedback to Managers and Principals.
- Honestly assess own performance upon completion of engagements or assignments.
- Solicit overall performance feedback on assigned areas from in-charge employees.
- Seek additional responsibilities on engagements that you feel you would like to be given the opportunity to undertake and will help enhance your career and knowledge.
- Gain understanding of department goals and responsibilities.
- Take responsibility for attaining chargeable hour requirements.
- Participate in industry meetings and seminars.
- Be cognizant of interactions within the community, realizing that in many cases you may be the only source of exposure for YHB.
- Understanding the role of Manager and working to expand roles and responsibilities to that level.
- Overnight travel to out-of-town YHB offices, client locations and continuing professional education may be required.
Leading and Developing Others
- Provide Associates with the framework to complete assignments based on experience levels.
- Develop ability to communicate review comments professionally while providing feedback, which will assist in the development of the person whose work was reviewed.
- Participate in the training, motivation, supervision, and evaluation of team members. Begin identifying opportunities to assist in course material preparation and/or instruction of in-house courses.
- Offer constructive feedback to Associates.
- Serve as the primary day-to-day contact for Associates; increase cooperation and success by being accessible and approachable to the feelings and perspectives of others.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of cooperation and teamwork through daily interactions with co-workers and in-charge employees.
- Maintain positive working relationships with supervisors, clients, and other team members by displaying attitudes of helpfulness, a focus on team success, and the consideration of the ideas of others.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or relevant field required.
- Requirements to achieve the CPA certification and/or other certifications of similar standing as approved for development.
- Possesses a high level of integrity and ability to respect confidentiality.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Knowledgeable of firm policies and procedures
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Demonstrated time and work management skills necessary to manage a complex workload.
YHB is strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business!
Yount Hyde & Barbour PCFalls Church, VA
Finance and Insurance
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.