Audit & Assurance Associate
You chart the course; we help you lift off. At YHB, we aren't limited by small-firm constraints or stuck in the big-firm mentality. Our culture is based on relationships between our teams and our clients. We aim to hire great people who want to take ownership of their careers while we help to provide the tools for success. Assurance Associates are responsible for assisting in the completion of all engagements that they have been assigned. They should complete all assigned tasks in a timely, efficient manner and actively search for additional responsibilities when time permits; to become fluent with the Assurance process and methodology.
Roles and Responsibilities
Technical Expertise and Work Quality
- Possess an intermediate level of understanding related to Assurance and accounting principles.
- Follow YHB guidance regarding secure use of hardware, software, and client information.
- Maintain proficiency and identify efficiency with relevant firm technical resources and computer applications. Demonstrate effective use of these resources and use file and workpaper organization techniques.
- Demonstrate a commonsense approach to problem solving, clearly identifying issues and/or problems as they arise and bringing them to the attention of the Assurance Supervisor and/or Manager.
- Develop a clear understanding of the engagement objective to perform necessary procedures.
- Listen carefully to instructions, take notes, ask questions, and seek clarification of instructions and assignments.
- Prepare workpapers that are neat, organized, and cross-referenced, in accordance with YHB procedures.
- Apply professional skepticism to the audit.
- Complete specific tasks, reports, and deliverables within assigned timeframes and budget.
- Document procedures performed, and conclusions reached.
- Prepare complete workpapers in conformity with standards including adequate supporting documentation, tick mark, and workpaper cross references.
- Ensure assigned sections have been completed, including after leaving the client site.
- Assist the Assurance Supervisor with wrap-up through the completion of the engagement.
- Gain proficiency in developing analytics and a willingness to understand the analytics produced.
- Begin to develop an understanding of control processes and identifying internal control weaknesses.
- Clear any review comments received from the engagement Supervisor and/or Manager.
- Increase technical knowledge based on primary niche industry.
Client Management and Service
- Communicate with others in a tactful and business-like manner.
- Provide regular and frequent communication with in-charge staff regarding the status of assignments in progress.
- Accurately complete tasks within the timeframes established by clients as communicated through in-charge staff.
- Demonstrate efforts to gain an understanding of the client (rather than just copying workpapers) through inquiry, observation, and study as well as interaction with in-charge staff and others at YHB.
- Be responsive to the need to meet client expectations, deadlines, and be flexible as much as possible in assisting the team to meet these expectations and deadlines.
- Display confidence in expressing ideas and proposed solutions.
- Initiate communication with Supervisors and circle leaders to determine job responsibilities (ie. equipment responsibilities, dress code, and basic understanding of client) prior to arrival.
- Maintain the complete confidentiality of all client and firm information.
- A commitment to respond to clients within 24 hours.
- Represent YHB to clients in a professional manner, adhering to YHB standards.
- Maintain daily time entry for accurate reporting firm wide.
- Learn and demonstrate knowledge in the YHB’s service capabilities.
- Recognize the need to expand our practice and that all team members can participate in the process.
- Establish a network of client and business contacts and seek ways to increase YHB visibility among peers or by becoming involved in a professional or community organization.
- Be aware of potential opportunities with existing clients or non-clients and bring these to the attention of others within the firm.
Personal Participation and Professional Development
- Follow YHB’s time reporting requirements including timely entry of weekly time for payroll and billing purposes.
- Prepare for and complete the CPA exam.
- Demonstrate active involvement in self-improvement activities, including the awareness and development of their functional and industry specialization.
- Take responsibility for attaining chargeable hour requirements.
- Initiate and respond to suggestions to improve work quality.
- Actively participate in self-development activities such as reading technical information, interacting with firm leaders, and maintaining minimum standards for firm professional licensing/continuing education requirements.
- Solicit overall performance feedback on assigned areas from Supervisors and Managers.
- When not assigned to an engagement, actively seek chargeable work from Supervisors and Managers.
- During periods of non-billable time, seek out value-added projects such as writing newsletters, marketing activities, or research projects.
- Set challenging goals and be receptive to goals set by their circle leaders.
- Be cognizant of interactions within the community, realizing that in many cases you may be the only source of exposure for YHB.
- Demonstrate an increasing ability to work through challenging tasks, however, still seeking guidance and input from in-charge staff to maintain efficiency.
- Honestly assess your own performance upon completion of engagement or assignments.
- Gain understanding of department goals and responsibilities.
- Understanding the role of Supervisor and working to expand roles and responsibilities to that level.
- Overnight travel to out-of-town YHB offices, client locations and continuing professional education may be required.
Leading and Developing Others
- Participate in staff recruiting activities, including campus visits, internship, externship, etc. when it does not interfere with client work.
- Use peers as a resource for personal development and information sharing.
- Provide feedback during annual upward evaluations.
- Understand the importance of cooperation and teamwork. Demonstrate this understanding by maintaining positive working relationships with firm leaders, clients, and other team members, which requires an attitude of helpfulness, a focus on team success, and the consideration of ideas from others.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a relevant field required or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Accounting course work and credit hour requirements (150) to achieve the CPA certification preferred.
- A dedication to teamwork and leadership
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Possesses a high level of integrity and ability to respect confidentiality.
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Demonstrated time and work management skills necessary to manage a complex workload.
YHB is strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business!
Yount Hyde & Barbour PCFalls Church, VA
Finance and Insurance
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.