Class A CDL Switcher/Yard Jockey
YRC Freight Carlisle, PA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Switcher will safely and efficiently move trailers on terminal premises, hook and unhook trailers, connect air hoses and electrical lines, fuel equipment, conduct visual inspections, and install and remove tire chains from trailers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Drop and hook trailer(s) and change the configuration of equipment as necessary.
· Connect air hoses and electrical lines, install and remove tire chains, and manually crank dolly wheels.
· Perform visual inspections of equipment as required by supervisors. Conduct minor repairs of commercial motor vehicles when instructed to perform such services at the direction of company management.
· Fuel equipment and perform safety inspections on the equipment.
· Drop and hook trailer(s) and change the configuration of equipment as necessary. Connect air hoses and electrical lines, install and remove tire chains, and manually crank dolly wheels.
· Conduct pre-trip and post-trip inspections. Inspect the operating condition of the tractor and trailer(s) before and after trip, and when stopped in route.
· Drive truck to transport materials in liquid or packaged form to and from specified destinations. Verify load against shipping papers. Drive truck to specified destination, applying knowledge of commercial driving regulations and roads in area. Prepare receipt for load picked up. Collect payment for goods delivered and for delivery charges.
· Select and use proper tools as necessary to load and unload freight.
· Prepare, inspect, and clean trailer(s) before loading freight.
· Count all pieces of freight in loading and unloading.
· Plan cube utilization and proper weight distribution when loading freight.
· Review freight bills for special instructions. Check manifests for existing exceptions. Check the label and the destination code on manifests against freight bills.
· Inspect condition of freight and notify supervisors of any damaged freight.
· Unload long and unusual freight and deliver the freight to a stack area; load long and unusual freight into trailers using proper tools.
· Dock skids of freight in designated bay areas.
· Must be 21 years or older.
· Must possess a valid Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL) with Double/Triple, Tanker and Hazardous Material endorsements. Ability to operate a commercial motor vehicle in adverse road, weather, and traffic conditions.
· One year of tractor-trailer driving experience or graduation from company-approved training program.
· A current motor vehicle report (MVR) that represents a history of safe operation.
· Read, write and speak English sufficiently to converse with the general public, understand highway and traffic signs and signals, respond to official inquiries, read a bill of lading, and make accurate entries in daily driving log.
· Able to follow posted safety rules and safe operating procedures to insure proper techniques, such as lifting, are performed in the manner as which is described.
· Work various shifts and days of the week.
You can also go to Drive4YRC.com for this position and other opportunities throughout the company.
Call 1-877-249-2271 to speak to a recruiter now.
YRC Worldwide is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Minorities/Females/Persons with Disabilities/Protected Veterans
YRC FreightWhy Work Here?
YRC Freight drivers enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the industry—hands down. 100% paid benefits for you and your family!
With more than 28,000 employees, YRC Freight is the largest operating unit of Overland Park, Kansas–based YELLOW, and one of the largest trucking companies in the United States. Being one of the largest isn’t what makes YRC Freight a great company to work for. With a reputation for competitive pay and benefits in the LTL freight industry, there are many reasons to consider working with us. Five reasons YRC Freight attracts the best drivers on the road 100% Company-paid health care benefits and vacation time. All equipment is provided and maintained by the Company. Daily dispatches with minimum time away from home. Union contract pay rates: first year road driver can earn up to $60,000, and city drivers can earn an average of over $20 per hour. YRC Freight is the only LTL freight company that pays road drivers hourly in case of load delays or breakdowns. Safety is a first priority at YRC Freight We maintain a safe fleet of approximately 8,400 Company-owned tractors and 34,500 trailers. We have 12,000 48’ and 53’ vans, and more than 20,400 28’ trailers. When you drive for YRC Freight, you’re among skilled, professional drivers ranked some the safest in our industry. Our drivers are involved in: National Truck Driving Championship America’s Road Team Safe Driver Awards (million milers, accident-free all stars) Driver Hall of Fame Diversity matters We believe hiring people with varied characteristics builds a stronger workforce. The YRC Freight commitment to diversity lets everyone reach his or her full potential in our organization. YRC Freight hosts “Diversity Days” at many of our terminals from coast-to-coast. These activities help to build community. We invite agencies, such as universities, chambers of commerce, diversity organizations, local and state employment agencies and area Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission representatives. Women in Trucking Partnership YRC Freight works in partnership with Women in Trucking (WIT), an organization that promotes women’s employment in our industry, to expand recruiting programs and to reach out to truck stop owners on interstate highways to encourage more female-friendly environments.
100 Roadway DriveCarlisle, PA
Transportation and Storage