Managing Editor - Virtual/Remote
YR Media Concord, NH
- Posted: over a month ago
They will be responsible for creating a workflow that integrates the best of YR content in-house and from our national network and delivers it to our growing audience, through our new digital platform and brand. They will lead the development of signature products and a daily stream of exciting national news and culture content for our growing audiences.
We’re looking for someone with solid journalism experience and an equally strong sensibility about arts and popular culture coverage for our young audiences. They must have experience developing content that attracts a growing audience, and the ability to tap just the right contributor or format for a given story — whether it’s video, online, graphics or photo. They must also have compelling creativity that also encourages the creativity of others while embracing diversity of coverage and a commitment to YR’s mission, and a comfort with data reporting and a high level of organization skills.
The ideal candidate will work closely with the editorial senior staff to help manage and strategize for a small team with a growing number of youth correspondents from across the country.
Medical insurance, Dental insurance, Vision insurance, Prescription drug coverage, Life Insurance, Flex Spending Account (FSA), Holiday / Overtime pay, Paid holidays, Paid sick leave, Bereavement leave, Flexible work schedule, Paid vacation, Commuter Benefits, YR Holidays
YR Media is a national network of young journalists and artists who create multimedia content for our generation. Based in Oakland, we link up with our peers around the country to amplify award-winning stories that matter. For more than 25 years, our non-profit production company has invested in future generations to build critical skills in journalism, arts and media. You can find us at https://yr.media/
We are at a pivotal point in the organization’s life as we enter into an exciting phase of growth and expansion as a national network. As we grow, we seek exceptional talent with an entrepreneurial spirit, who can lead us to the future of YR Media.
We welcome smart, passionate people who connect with our values and seek a collaborative environment where employees can do their best work. We seek people who are hard working, creative, fun, and driven to go above and beyond to take our organization to the next level. We hire people who believe in the talent and potential of every young person.
- Lead a team of both youth and adult staff, including reporters, producers and editors in editorial excellence, building a dynamic daily news and content operation
- Help oversee publishing of the team’s content on YR’s platforms
- Ensure content is compelling, on-brand and making a difference to communities and social progress
- Use metrics reports to identify trends and help develop audience growth strategy
- Assist with and implement development of editorial workflow and process, tracking major cultural events, new initiatives, and special projects
- Leverage audience data to shape content and engagement strategies, focusing on YR’s target audience 14-29 year olds
- Provide oversight of existing weekly and monthly broadcast audio slots on KCBS and KQED, supporting; Script Editing and Final Audio Review
- Oversight of weekly content partnership with Momentum newsletter via Medium
- Oversight of statewide network team and deliverables which include but are not limited to:
o Ongoing regional meetings/trainings
o Annual Conference
o Annual deep-dive reporting project with partners
- Assist with other administrative and management duties
- Progressive experience in a management/leadership role in a digital newsroom
- Experience working with audio/video content production
- Experience with brands that engage younger audiences
- Impeccable news judgment and a significant record of accomplishment in leading journalists to produce work of distinction and community impact
- Excellent writing, editing, communication and organizational skills
- Extensive knowledge of AP Style
- Passion for building diverse and inclusive teams across channels or departments.
- Experience using audience metrics as a guide to content strategy and pivots
- Strong relationship builder with experience building successful partnerships within and beyond the organization
Authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
Lift up to 25 pounds
management/leadership role in a digital newsroom
Extensive knowledge of AP Style
Minimum Bachelors Degree
Equal Opportunity Employer
Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Arts and EntertainmentView all jobs at YR Media