Director of Development - Virtual/Remote
YR Media Burlington, VT
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Director of Development has strategic oversight and day-to-day operational responsibilities for directing and managing all aspects of philanthropic giving including special events, annual fund, major gifts, planned giving, corporate giving, and foundation giving. The Director of Development owns the donor engagement cycle, including identification, outreach, cultivation, and stewardship.
The overall responsibility of the Director of Development is to effectively plan and execute strategies and tactics for organizational financial sustainability and growth. The position will lead YR’s fundraising team.
Medical insurance, Dental insurance, Vision insurance, Prescription drug coverage, Life Insurance, Flex Spending Account (FSA), Holiday / Overtime pay, Paid holidays, Paid sick leave, Bereavement leave, Flexible work schedule, Paid vacation, Commuter Benefits, YR Holidays
YR Media is a national network of young journalists and artists who create multimedia content for our generation. Based in Oakland, we link up with our peers around the country to amplify award-winning stories that matter. For more than 25 years, our non-profit production company has invested in future generations to build critical skills in journalism, arts and media. You can find us at https://yr.media/
We are at a pivotal point in the organization’s life as we enter into an exciting phase of growth and expansion as a national network. As we grow, we seek exceptional talent with an entrepreneurial spirit, who can lead us to the future of YR Media.
We welcome smart, passionate people who connect with our values and seek a collaborative environment where employees can do their best work. We seek people who are hard working, creative, fun, and driven to go above and beyond to take our organization to the next level. We hire people who believe in the talent and potential of every young person.
- Manages all aspects of the fundraising program .
- Is intimately familiar with long-range development planning, implementation of fundraising campaigns, donor and volunteer relations, marketing and communications of special events.
- Builds relationships with corporations, foundation, philanthropists and maintain existing relationships with funders, major donors and investors
- Manages current grant funders, donors and conduct prospect research and outreach to identify and engage with potential grant funders for youth-driven media.
- Responsible for planning and meeting the department’s revenue and expense budgets.
- Creates/maintains partnerships that open YR Media to new areas of investment
- Oversees the development and execution of current and new special events, including fundraising and stewardship events and increase sponsorships at these events
- Develops income goals for individual solicitations, donor and capital campaigns, events, annual giving, and other campaigns, and engages directly with donors and donor prospects to achieve goals.
- Manages Development team to ensure the successful management, planning, and execution of effective event fundraisers, cultivation of corporate gifts/sponsorships and timeliness of gift processing, external communications and mailings.
- Expands fundraising activities, plan and implement other fundraising initiatives as appropriate.
- Directs and manages all communications on fundraising/ campaigns / grant writing proposals
- Ensures that the development database is up to date and appropriately utilized, and that gift reporting is accurate.
Qualifications and Skills
- Seven (7) or more years of professional experience with a background in fundraising for nonprofits up to $8m+
- High level of integrity and commitment to YR’s mission, vision, and core values
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop strong individual donors relationships; high integrity; ability to work independently and with flexibility; ability to make direct solicitations of donors
- Experience with all aspects of donor development including cultivating and maintaining relationships with individual donors
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, and ability to organize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Success in organizing fundraising events including the procurement of corporate sponsorship
- Ability to work strategically, set priorities, define goals and outcomes, detail tactics, and achieve results
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent; Master’s degree preferred
- Knowledge of the media and its use in gaining exposure for all YR programs and events
- Experience with successful grant writing and soliciting major gifts
- Ability to artfully build consensus and bring people together
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills
- Computer skills and technology usage
- Organization skills and attention to detail
- Valid California driver’s license with an acceptable driving record and auto insurance showing as an insured driver on the policy
- Open to travel for the role up to four times in a year
Seven (7) or more years of professional experience
Authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
Lift up to 25 pounds
Bay Area Resident preferred
Hybrid work schedule
Minimum Bachelors Degree
Equal Opportunity Employer
Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Non ProfitView all jobs at YR Media