Informed by initiatives across departments, the Director of Communications will work towards specific annual and longer-term strategic communications, revenue and program goals. In collaboration with Editorial and Content Development team members, the Director will develop informed and intentional content and engagement plans that support brand positioning and marketing objectives.
The successful candidate will oversee the development and production of external messaging and support materials for all activities, product lines, fundraising, and business development, considering and leveraging all internal and external touch points to successfully build deeper and more mutually beneficial relationships with all stakeholders. It is with this audience in mind that objectives, strategies, tactics and measurement and evaluation will be developed.
Putting audience, customers, and stakeholders at the top of the planning process, the Director will manage marketing, communications, social media and public relations staff, and/or agencies leading and supporting marketing and communications activities across the organization at the strategic and tactical levels.
Specific responsibilities include: strategic content marketing to build audience, drive business development, and increase philanthropic support; measurements tracking and reporting; overseeing asset production; messaging and copy development; orchestrating PR plan elements; pitching targeted reporters and editors in tandem with agency efforts; digital/social content development; design event promotion campaigns and support planning; and external vendor/agency management. Ability to write excellent copy and oversee design of striking communication resources is critical.
This position reports to the CEO.
Medical insurance, Dental insurance, Vision insurance, Prescription drug coverage, Life Insurance, Flex Spending Account (FSA), Holiday / Overtime pay, Paid holidays, Paid sick leave, Bereavement leave, Flexible work schedule, Paid vacation, Commuter Benefits, YR Holidays
YR Media is a national network of young journalists and artists who create multimedia content for our generation. Based in Oakland, we link up with our peers around the country to amplify award-winning stories that matter. For more than 25 years, our non-profit production company has invested in future generations to build critical skills in journalism, arts and media. You can find us at https://yr.media/
We are at a pivotal point in the organization’s life as we enter into an exciting phase of growth and expansion as a national network. As we grow, we seek exceptional talent with an entrepreneurial spirit, who can lead us to the future of YR Media.
We welcome smart, passionate people who connect with our values and seek a collaborative environment where employees can do their best work. We seek people who are hard working, creative, fun, and driven to go above and beyond to take our organization to the next level. We hire people who believe in the talent and potential of every young person.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Shapes and leads the entire organization’s branding and communications strategies of all scales from conceptualization through completion, serving as steward and guardian of the brand, and ensuring alignment with goals, mission, and values.
- Manages and drives the implementation of holistic strategies that accelerate effective marketing outreach and communication campaigns to engage, educate and cultivate audiences of major donors, monthly members, philanthropic investors, clients, and general community supporters.
- Aligns departmental communication goals to tell compelling individual stories while ensuring overall brand consistency and strength, promoting a strong and cohesive public image for internal and diverse external audiences.
- Uses data to craft and implement communication strategy across paid, earned, owned, and social channels.
- Manages external digital ad agencies and supports implementation efforts from external consultants.
- Manages all media relations, handles all press inquiries, and proactively cultivates media relationships with support from an agency or staffer.
- Evaluates and reports on various communications efforts, providing sound, actionable insights.
- Collaborates closely with senior management across development, content development and board-level communications.
- Writes/develops content for press releases, op-eds, newsletters, website, and promotional materials.
- Plays a key role in planning and execution of internal and external events including but not limited to graduations, network summits, fundraising events, and performances.
- Oversees design and execution of social media and online communications strategy as it relates to both the target content audience (18-27 year-olds) and cultivation of key donors, supporters, and more traditional non-profit fundraising efforts.
- Hires, manages, mentors and evaluates the Communications team and any contracted specialized communication vendors such as copywriters, graphic designers, web managers, videographers, event producers and advertising agencies.
- Leads regular department meetings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, advertising, public relations, marketing or a related field. Non Profit experience would be a plus.
- Up to 10years experience working in a similar role is required to be effective in this role.
- Skilled at message development with a proven media relations track record.
- Excellent judgment, emotional intelligence, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead by example and motivate a team to achieve communications goals.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and people without supervision.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, newsroom style environment with frequent deadlines and multiple internal stakeholders.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Outstanding written, visual, and verbal communication skills
- Highly accountable and results-driven with the ability to set and use goals to guide action and objectively measure performance, making tactical adjustments when strategically advantageous.
- Strong leadership skills and the proven ability to manage and motivate people.
Previous experience working for a media company
Accept a background check to be performed
Authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Advertising, Public Relations, Marketing or a related field.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.