Internship - Sports - Spring 2022
YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley Davenport, IA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The purpose of the position will be to provide the intern with a broad training experience to include several operational and administrative areas of the YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley. Interns will experience the rewards and rigors of an entry level position. Specific processes may include, program development/research, league administration, marketing/advertising, volunteer recruitment, coach methodology & techniques, sports officiating, inventory control, purchasing, facility operations, and office management.
- Serve as a role model to members and Y staff and demonstrate the YMCA mission, vision and values of the YMCA movement.
- Assist Youth Sports Director with planning, implementation, & supervision sports programs on nights/weekends.
- Put into practice various techniques to promote interest and participation in sports through active marketing plan, public relations and informational exchange.
- Work with Youth Sports Director to develop a plan to strengthen the sports brand in the community.
- Assists with inventory control of sports equipment, and facility set-up and breakdown.
- Work with Youth Sports Director to gain an understanding of basic staff management/supervision.
- Assist Youth Sports Director with volunteer coach recruitment efforts.
- Work in harmony with Youth Sports Director to develop and implement an on-going training program of volunteer coaches.
- Assist Youth Sports Director with parent and Coach meetings.
- Maintain a safe and encouraging environment during practice and games.
- Substitute as a sports referee or coach if a need arises.
- Research and establish 1-2 new activities the YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley may look to implement including facility impact, staff impact, & fiscal impact with full program budget.
- Understand and follow all safety rules and regulations of the YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley including knowledge of emergency procedures and location of emergency equipment.
- Regular and timely adherence to respective schedule/meetings.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum of 30 credit hours in Leisure Studies, Sports Management, Athletic Management, Sport Coaching or Education
- Strong organization and communication skills
- Motivated, with an ability to be self-directed as well as work collaboratively
- Strong background from participating, planning or working within the sports environment
- Previous experience working with Youth and adults
- Experience ability to work and understand the needs of a diverse population
CERTIFICATIONS AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be able to pass background check
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and be able to run to keep up with the pace of the game/play. Must be able to stand, walk for at least several hours at a time, use of hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear regularly, and stoop and kneel occasionally.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment can vary from quiet to loud depending upon events and hours. This position works in a variety of environments which include, but are not limited to, gymnasiums and outdoors playing fields.
BENEFITS: Interns enjoy a free individual Y membership during their internship period!
Job Posted by ApplicantPro