Summary of the Job Description
YMCA of Newark & Vicinity is seeking a Program & Membership Director to lead and impact membership development/engagement and YMCA programs. Under the Direction of the President/CEO or designee, the Program & Membership Director is responsible for the development, administration and management of all youth, adult and family programs in the Healthy Living (Fitness/Aquatics/Youth Sports) and the Membership Departments. The individual is expected to manage and lead staff, operating budgets and ensure high standards of program quality, visibility and community awareness in a manner consistent with established policies and procedures to enable the Association to achieve its defined goals and objectives.
- BA/BS degree in physical education, health and fitness, exercise physiology, exercise sports science, marketing/communication or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum five years of program management experience and leading a combination of aquatic, youth sports, health, fitness, and wellness programs, preferably in a YMCA or other nonprofit agency.
- Excellent technical, organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with standard business software including Word/Excel/Power Point/Internet engines.
- Ability to direct programs through supervision of staff and volunteers, development and monitoring of budgets, marketing and public relations, program development and fund-raising.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse populations from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Excellent human relation skills and proven track record of developing professional authentic and deepened relationships with others.
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of and support the mission, vision, standards, policies, procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards and ethics of the YMCA.
- Ability to anticipate and solve practical problems or resolve issues.
- Independent judgment to determine project guidelines, purpose, follow-through and completion.
- Must have flexible work schedule.
- YMCA Team Leader certification preferred.
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications required.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Evaluate the Association’s service area and existing programs, develop, implement, and manage operating plans to promote program and/or membership growth for the YMCA. Execute strategies, monitor objectives and take appropriate action to ensure the achievement of those objectives.
- Develop, manage, and monitor assigned operating budgets (income and expense) and oversee the assigned department budgets to ensure that revenue targets are met and expenses are controlled.
- Manage staff – recruit, hire, train, develop, supervise and evaluate, in assigned program and membership areas. This includes following all policies, procedures and timeframes of the Association. Facilitate communication and provide leadership. Model relationship-building skills in all interactions.
- Ensure high quality member-focused environment and programs through innovative program development, evaluations and on-going training of staff. Ensure that members and/or program participants connect with one another and connect with the YMCA.
- Assist with the creation of publicity plan and schedule as it relates to the promotion of programs and events.
- Provide leadership and support to all association special events and fund raising activities. Develop and maintain effective working relationships within the community.
- Assure compliance with state and local regulations. Ensure that program standards are met and safety procedures are followed; all accidents and incidents are reported involving self, participants, guests and other employees.
- Ensure all Department Operations are consistent with the Association procedures. This includes safety, insurance, incident/accident reports, registrations, purchasing, HR and Payroll procedures, accounting, and YUSA standards and maintains appropriate logs and records. Provide data and reports as required for assigned programs.
- Maintain a safe work environment, free of clutter, debris and hazardous conditions and ensure cleanliness of facility.
- Provide excellent customer service and care for all including but not limited to internal and external customers/members/residents/visitors/clients/patrons/vendors.
- Serve as Manager On Duty (MOD) when scheduled.
- Perform such other job-related duties as may be periodically assigned by the Supervisor.
- Exhibit personal and professional behavior in a manner consistent with the best interest of the Association, so as not to bring discredit to the Association.
- Cooperate, work effectively and congenially with all YMCA staff members, volunteers, and members of the Association.