Swim Lesson Instructor - Weingart Wellness YMCA
YMCA of Metropolitan L.A. Los Angeles, CA
- Posted: over a month ago
The YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles is not only the premiere non-profit in Los Angeles, it is also a great place to work, make a difference in your community and meet like-minded individuals. With twenty-six branches, three camps and over fifty child care sites, the LA Y is a highly-collaborative, rewarding and fun environment where you will discover your passion, grow your career and make an impact!
We believe in the four Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility and understand that our staff are our biggest asset! We strive to create high-performing, strong teams in each of our branches and are looking for passionate and enthusiastic staff who will help us to strengthen our impact, empower our community and deliver incredible programming!
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director, the Swim Lesson Instructor is responsible for professional instruction of all swim lessons. As a member of the Aquatics team, the Swim Lesson Instructor is also responsible for the safety of members in the pool and pool area by enforcing policies and procedures courteously and professionally. It is essential to keep certifications current and follow emergency procedures when necessary. This position requires skill in preventing accidents and maintaining a safe and nurturing aquatic environment for all members.
- Current American Safety & Health Institute or American Red Cross or American Heart Association BLS for the Professional Rescuer, Standard/Community First Aid certifications and Emergency Oxygen Administration
- Swim Lesson Instructor candidates are to perform: 25 yards each of the six strokes (front crawl, back crawl, breaststroke, sidestroke, elementary backstroke and butterfly) and tread water for 2 minutes with two different kicks. Ability to swim with proficiency and endurance; ability to react appropriately and remain calm and efficient in caring for problems; knowledge of proper swimming techniques.
- Experience instructing swim lessons or coaching aquatic programs
- YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor Certification or ARC Water Safety Instructor; American Red Cross (ARC) or YMCA Lifeguard Training, preferred
- Create a welcoming and nurturing environment for all students.
- Instruct classes using the YMCA of the USA swim lesson program.
- Responsible for the safety of all class participants at all times.
- Maintain class rosters and checks daily attendance.
- Track progress of class participants using appropriate skill assessments; issue certificates/progress reports.
- Communicate proper participant placement to Aquatics Director and/or parents regularly.
- Prepare lesson/session plan prior to each session.
- Instruct class participants on the effective use of teaching aids, flotation devices, toys and other aquatic equipment.
- Understand and be able to discuss and promote all YMCA programs. Inform members of YMCA programs that will meet their changing needs and interests.
- Respond to questions/concerns from members; effectively problem-solve, taking full responsibility to remedy the situation and follow through to completion.
- Prevent accidents through the enforcement of policies, rules, regulations governing the conduct of persons using the swimming pool.
- Respond immediately to all emergency situations using proper procedures/techniques.
- Know the Emergency Action Plan, understand your specific role during an emergency and carry out your responsibilities during an emergency when necessary.
YMCA of Metropolitan L.A.
AddressLos Angeles, CA
Sports and RecreationView all jobs at YMCA of Metropolitan L.A.