- Posted: over a month ago
Title: Lifeguard I
Reports To: Aquatics Director
Position Type: Non-Exempt
Shift Availability: All (Opener, Daytime, Evening, Closer)
- Burbank YMCA - Reading, MA
- East Boston YMCA - East Boston, MA
- Charles River YMCA - Needham, MA
- Charlestown YMCA - Charlestown, MA
- Dorchester YMCA - Dorchester, MA
- Huntington Avenue YMCA - Boston, MA
- North Suburban YMCA - Woburn, MA
- Oak Square YMCA - Brighton, MA
- Parkway Community YMCA - West Roxbury, MA
- Roxbury YMCA - Roxbury, MA
- Waltham YMCA - Waltham, MA
- Wang YMCA - West Boston, MA
Essential Responsibilities & Principal Functions:
- Prevent emergencies by scanning the pool in a continuous and consistent manner.
- Recognize emergencies or potential incidents and address them immediately.
- Know and activate the branch and pool EAP when needed.
- Perform assists or rescues as needed.
- Provide care such as, CPR, First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen as needed.
- Complete incident reports in a timely and effective manner.
- Enforce pool rules. Handle issues as they arise in a professional manner.
- Ensure a clean and safe pool environment at all times.
- When off the stand, assist with cleaning and testing of the pool.
- Maintain a clear and consistent line of communication with all supervisors.
- Participate in all branch safety and quality drills.
- Attend all required monthly and yearly in-service trainings.
- Arrive 10 minutes prior to start of scheduled shift.
- Make sure all doors are securely locked when a lifeguard is not on duty. Never leave the pool unattended.
- All change in hours will be in writing and signed by consenting parties. You are responsible for finding your own coverage.
- Engage in active listening with members in order to build relationships, understand each individual’s goals and interests and take the initiative to assist in the achievement of those goals.
- Maintain a professional image and manner consistent with the YMCA mission and goals at all times.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- At least 16 years of age.
- Physically and verbally able to interact with members and staff.
- Must be able to scan the pool visually.
- May be required to sit or stand for extended period of time.
- At times, be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
- Shifts vary, but may include early mornings, nights, and weekends.
Required Trainings & Necessary Certifications:
- Child Abuse Prevention (within first four weeks of employment)
- Respect in the Workplace (Sexual Harassment Prevention)
- The Professional Lifeguard
- CPR, First Aid, O2
- YMCA Lifeguarding
Why work at the Y?
The YMCA of Greater Boston is an incredible place to have a fulfilling career or enjoy part-time employment — all while we are supporting and strengthening our communities, because our community is our cause. When you join us in your career here, you can look forward to:
- Developing your leadership skills in a caring, challenging & diverse working environment.
- Exploring a wide range of opportunities as you learn new skills and functions.
- Shaping the future of young children while making a difference each day for our communities and each other.
- Engaging in YMCA career training programs and working alongside those who have the same passion.
- A healthy work/life balance.
Comprehensive Benefits Including:
- Quarterly Professional Development.
- FREE YMCA Membership for you.
- Discount on Specialty Programs like Personal Training and Swimming Lessons.
- Discounted or FREE family membership.
- Robust Retirement Plan up to 8%.
- Health, Dental, and Vision Benefit Package.
- Vacation and Sick Time (for both Full and PT staff!).
YMCA of Greater Boston
AddressEast Boston, MA
Sports and RecreationView all jobs at YMCA of Greater Boston
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?