Exercise Specialist (Full Time)
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Exercise Specialist (Associate Health and Wellness director) works closely with the Health & Wellness Director to ensure prompt customer service and strong member engagement are carried out with consistency. This position includes modeling professional behaviors, direct member service including personal training and leading small group training sessions.
- Programs are in place and operating at the highest quality level for the various service area target markets.
- All related staff are trained on systems usage including. “Expresso Interactive”, Direct TV, and related media.
- Ensures all equipment is in working order. Responsible for reporting non-functioning equipment for repair and ensuring service date follow up within 24 hours.
- Direct and influence staff on best practices and protocols.
- Responsible for assisting Health and Wellness Director with driving Personal training revenue in order to exceed branch year end goal.
- Responsible for ensuring floor staff have available Par Q, daily cleaning list, member workout cards, Get Started appointment logs and related paperwork
- Medically Based Wellness programs are implemented.
- Designs and implements (4) quarterly Member Challenge Programs per year.
- Assists with special events planning and delivery, including but not limited to 5K Family events, Healthy Kids Day, Monthly Expresso bike challenge and other Health & Wellness events.
- Attends and participates in YMCA of Greater Boston trainings.
- Participates in health and wellness staff meetings when needed.
- Assists in branch fundraising efforts as requested.
- Presents a professional image and manner consistent with the YMCA mission and goals.
- Remains current in required and voluntary training in order to promote growth of mind and spirit and character values for all.
- Bachelor’s degree in exercise science, or a related field from an accredited college or university preferred.
- At least three years experience instructing in related programs.
- Experience in personal training, and health and wellness programming.
- ACSM-cpt, NSCA-cpt, or Cooper Personal trainer certification
- Child Abuse Prevention and Sexual Harassment Prevention
- YMCA Principles of Healthy Lifestyles
- CPR/AED and First Aid certifications
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to physically and verbally interact with members and staff.
- At times, be able to lift amounts up to 50 lbs.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent interpersonal, organization and problem-solving skills required; including the ability to interact positively with extremely diverse membership and staff.
- Understand the relationship of the general public to the association, of staff to volunteer, of staff to staff, and be able to effectively enhance and cultivate those relationships.
- Ability to interpret, carry out and implement into programs, the mission and goals of the YMCA.
- Ability to supervise staff and volunteers while actively handling a variety of functions at the same time.
- Work as an integral member of a staff team.
- Computer Literate
YMCA Competencies (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
YMCA of Greater Boston
Sports and RecreationView all jobs at YMCA of Greater Boston