Boating Specialist for Camp Ponkapoag - Canton, MA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Title: Boating Specialist
Location: Canton, MA
Under the supervision of the Waterfront Coordinator and Camp Director respectively, this position is responsible for creating and implementing a boating skills curriculum, including boating safety and basic paddling. This position also includes periods where the staff will be guarding the waterfront, ensuring the safety of all patrons, enforcing waterfront rules, and implementing the camp Emergency Action Plan (EAP) as needed.
- Keeps safety of campers as the first priority. Emphasizes personal safety and emotional well-being with campers, parents and other camp personnel at all times.
- Creates an active and engaging environment during all boating periods.
- Is familiar with and implements basic canoeing and kayaking best practices.
- Implements a safe and thorough boating curriculum for canoeing and kayaking.
- Provides boating assists or rescues when needed.
- Assists with pre or post care and transportation. Ensures that a name to face is taken before and after any transitions.
- Models the quality of YMCA values to campers, CIT's, parents and staff. Develops appropriate relationships and boundaries with all campers in their care and other staff. Understands, establishes, and abides by appropriate boundaries.
- Keeps a direct line of communication open with supervisors. Reports all accidents/unusual incidents immediately to appropriate supervisors and creates necessary documentation. Communicates program information, problems, and concerns as they occur.
- Assists with planning and implementing Camp Special Events and Family Night Activities.
- Assists with the coordination of camp activities. Actively participates in and takes ownership of all aspects of camp programs including special events, openings, closings and extended hours.
- When lifeguarding or boating, prevents emergencies by scanning the waterfront or boating area in a continuous and consistent manner. Recognizes emergencies or potential incidents and addresses them immediately.
- Knows and activates the branch, site, and waterfront EAP when needed.
- Performs or assists in rescues as needed.
- Participates in all camp safety and quality drills.
- Provides care including, CPR, First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen as needed.
- Enforces waterfront rules. Handles issues as they arise in a professional manner. Uses positive, constructive methods of discipline/positive reinforcement, and ensures that all staff does the same.
- Engages in active listening with families and campers in order to build relationships, understand each individual’s goals and interests, and take the initiative to assist in the achievement of those goals.
- Maintains and cares for all program areas and supplies. Ensures that campers treat all equipment, supplies, and camp property responsibly.
- Ensures a clean and safe waterfront environment at all times. When off the stand, assists with cleaning of the waterfront and camp property.
- Attends all staff meetings and training sessions. Becomes familiar with provided training materials and actively incorporates them in their day today interactions and work with campers. Is prepared to demonstrate all boating and rescue skills.
- Ensures the waterfront is clear before leaving the area.
- Abides by the established YMCA/DPH/ACA day camp policies, procedures, regulations, and guidelines, and ask questions when in doubt.
- Demonstrates a willingness to help where needed. Performs other duties as required by supervisor.
- Extensive boating experience or Certification required.
- Must have a passion for working with and nurturing children.
- Child Abuse Prevention (within first four weeks of employment).
- Respect in the Workplace (Sexual Harassment Prevention).
- The Professional Lifeguard
- CPR, First Aid, O2 and YMCA Lifeguarding Certification.
YMCA of Greater Boston
AddressHyde Park, MA
Sports and RecreationView all jobs at YMCA of Greater Boston
Get fresh Title Specialist jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.