POSITION: Spanish I/II/III teacher
REPORTS TO: Principal
POSITION TYPE: 10-month
START DATE: 20-21 School Year
COMPENSATION: $54,000 - $65,874
Across the nation, only half of all students from low-income communities graduate from high school and only 10% earn a college degree. Even though 87% of our students are economically disadvantaged, YES Prep provides evidence that different outcomes are possible. Eighty-three (83%) of YES Prep alumni matriculate to college within one year and alumni like Eddie Zapata are earning their college degrees at five times the rate of their peers with similar socioeconomic backgrounds. How do we do this? YES Prep has 19 campuses serving 6th-12th graders, like Monique Bowie. While students typically enter YES Prep one or more grade levels behind, they quickly find themselves on a different life trajectory. To combat this further, YES Prep is opening 2 elementary campuses starting in the 20-21 school year, and adding 2 elementary campuses per year until 2024, to serve even more families and provide access to a college preparatory mindset from a childs first schooling experience.
Houston is the 4th largest city and our increasing population translates into 2,000 families on YES Preps waitlist. YES Preps student enrollment is estimated to grow from 14,123 students currently, to 23,000 by the 2024 2025 school year.
YES Prep needs a dynamic teaching force, with a diverse set of experiences, to make our mission a reality. As a YES Prep Teacher, you will achieve jaw-dropping results, create pathways to opportunity for our students, build transformative relationships, and eliminate educational inequities to advance social justice. In doing so, you will demonstrate to the nation that if a system of schools in Houston can close the opportunity gap, then surely this model can be replicated across other cities in America.
When you join the YES Prep team, some of the exciting work will include:
- Developing rigorous lessons in your specific content area in order to prepare your students for college and beyond while bridging gaps for marginalized communities
- Setting ambitious goals with your students and working alongside them to encourage and ensure they achieve those goals through frequent and consistent feedback
- Persisting in the face of challenges, learning from mistakes, and setting a strong example of character for your students
- Growing professionally in your craft of teaching by both receive and giving feedback on a consistent basis
- Building meaningful and long-lasting relationships with students, colleagues, and families
- Working on a team of teachers and leaders to provide consistency, support, and accountability to all students
- Conducting weekly tutorials outside of regular class day to provide additional instruction and support to students
- Additional duties as assigned
We seek staff with diverse backgrounds, talents, interests, and ideas. Certain traits consistently shine through for our most successful employees: passion for the mission, drive for results, care for students, resilience, and humility. Other traits needed and desired for this role are:
THE MUST HAVES
- Bachelors Degree from a regionally accredited four-year educational institution
- Texas Educator Certification - There are several acceptable ways to meet this requirement, but to snag this role you must do one of the following:
- Hold a standard Texas Teaching Certification
- Hold a valid Teacher Certification in another state/country
- Gain admission into Teaching Excellence Alternative Certification Program at YES Prep
- Enroll in a state-accredited Alternative Certification Program pursuing Certification
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional
- Compensation This position is an exempt, salaried position; salary offers commensurate with experience. The starting salary for a first-year teacher is $54,000.
- Health and Supplemental Insurance A $0.00 medical option that includes $600 towards a Health Savings Account, in addition to a variety of supplemental benefits including Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.
- Retirement Plans Participation in Teacher Retirement System of Texas and a 457 Retirement Plan.
- Paid Time Off 10 days of Paid Time Off in addition to the system closures of our Academic Calendar.
- Paid Leave Programming In the event you need to be out due to medical needs (including maternity and paternity leave), YES Prep offers 6 - 12 weeks of full paid leave.
- Professional Development - YES Prep values longevity and performance over time. We invest in developing leaders through high-quality programs, effective coaching, and ongoing professional development.
- Award Winning Culture The strong cultures of our campuses and Home Office are just one of many reasons we were named Houstons Best Place to work in 2018 and 2019. We won the 2012 Broad Prize for Excellence in Urban Education and were a 2016 finalist as well.
WE ARE DEEPLY COMMITTED TO EQUITY & DIVERSITY
YES Prep strives to recruit a diverse team of leaders. We believe there is a transformative academic and social benefit for students when their teachers and leaders reflect a diversity of backgrounds. Ninety-five percent (95%) of staff members agree that the organization provides a welcoming environment given their background and identity according to our latest system survey.
YES Prep is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate agai