YELL Canada is Hiring!
- Are you a connecter & catalyst, someone that thrives on staying in the know and supporting your network?
- Are you fearless, and find yourself at ease and with poise with all groups of people?
- Are you passionate about learning what makes disrupters and corporate leaders tick?
- Do you care deeply about youth, education, and making an impact?
- Do people often say you ask great questions and listen intently?
- Do you have an acute attention to detail and strong project management skills?
This role provides a great platform for someone with a background in business development and fundraising administration to lead the fundraising activities and invest in the network of a growing and entrepreneurial charity.
What we do
YELL Canada is a rapidly growing Canadian charity that inspires entrepreneurial thinking and equips young high school leaders for an increasingly uncertain future. Our network of educators, partners, and mentors create experiences that expose youth to the stories, skills, ideas, and technologies that have the potential to radically change our future. Together, we invest in young minds and create experience beyond our years.
YELL collaborates with leaders, disrupters, and innovators, from new start-ups to organizations that are the cornerstones to our local economies. Some of BC’s leading and most innovative school districts are already working with YELL, and over the next few years, YELL will be taking its new approach to partnering in the classroom across Canada.
What you will do
As the Development Manager, you will take the lead on all of YELL’s fundraising and development activities, soliciting funds from major donors, gifts, sponsorships, and granting programs to support YELLs impact and work.
This role is all about investing in people and relationships over a long period of time. Philanthropic fundraising is about discovering and matching the joy people receive in their giving to a worthy and impactful cause. The Development Manager is an excellent and empathetic listener, motivated to help people build more purpose, impact, and connection in their lives. They are someone with a high level of curiosity that thrives in coffee meetings and enjoys the multiple touchpoints and follow-ups to come.
You will act as an ambassador of YELL to a diverse set of stakeholders, including major donors, large corporate sponsors, foundations and grant administrators, entrepreneurs, and more. Your acute attention to detail, project management skills, and ability to set goals and develop action plans will allow you to thrive in the complexity of this role. This position is located in our HQ in Vancouver, BC and reports directly to the Executive Director.
Key Areas of Accountability and Duties
Stewardship & Relationships
- Invest in people and relationships, building a culture and network of individuals invested in building a more entrepreneurial Canada and a generation of young entrepreneurial thinkers, this includes YELL’s Guest Speakers & Mentors
- Support donors and sponsors through multiple stages of their giving ensuring they feel valued, appreciated, and connected to the impact and joy they want to create and receive
- Keep donors and stakeholders informed and connected, managing multiple streams of communications and individual touchpoints across a network of stakeholders
- Consistently meet with donors and stakeholders in person and over the phone
- Clear communication and excellent customer service, including timely receipting and follow-up
- Collaborate with YELL team members to grow and steward stakeholders and relationships
Administration & Reporting
- Monthly reports on fundraising activities and pipeline management
- Report and stay accountable to donors and foundations, ensuring YELL stays true to any donation restrictions and reporting requirements
- Process donations and pledges and generate bank deposits and charitable receipts.
- Ensure all fundraising activities are in compliance to YELL policies and CRA regulations
- Outbound mail management, including thank you letters and receipts
- Provide administrative, logistical and relationship management support to events as needed
- Database management, ensuring the maintenance and accuracy of comprehensive records; integrity of the fundraising database, maintains financial records; maintains donor and mailing lists; issues tax receipts
- Manage invoices, donation acknowledgement letters and other online or fundraising forms
- Work with Executive Director to develop fundraising goals and lead activities to bring in sustainable funding to support YELLs programming
- Plan, direct, and implement a major gift program
- Recruit sponsors and build and support a network of long-term strategic corporate partners
- Grant and application writing, including collecting and building all necessary materials, testimonials, budgets, and more
- Work with and lead the YELL team, board & advisors, volunteers, alumni, and donor champions to support fundraising activities and events, including YELL’s Annual Venture Challenge
- Support YELL’s social media, branding, and external communications as it applies to current and potential donors, including the design and creation of brand-aligned materials
- Lead and deliver a semi-annual donor newsletter, including content creation and writing
- Support YELL’s PR and marketing activities to ensure donor recognition
Brand Ambassador & Leadership
- Listen across various channels to report on strategic insights and opportunities
- Act as a significant brand ambassador, represent the YELL brand at various community, entrepreneurship, corporate, and philanthropic events and organizations
- 5+ years’ experience in business development, fundraising, marketing, and/or PR
- A deep passion for education and youth (you’re ready to change the current paradigm!)
- A deep understanding of giving patterns and trends and/or willing to learn and be coached and learn the art and craft of charity development
- Acute attention to detail and strong project management and coordination skills
- Experience and savvy with the latest brand and marketing tools and trends
- Highly curious
- An affinity for teamwork
- Ask great questions and listen intently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Top notch customer service skills
- Experience and confirm in setting and managing other’s expectations
- Enthusiastic and a “can-do, roll up your sleeves” attitude
- A degree in higher education or a demonstrated alternative personal and professional development path that you believe to be equivalent
- An entrepreneurial mindset and life-long learner who isn’t held back by fear in new situations
- Deep experience working with leaders in the business and entrepreneurship community
- Proficiency in using and setting-up various digital tools to for community management and communication, including Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Excel, PowerPoint, squarespace, mailchimp, CRM software, Word mail merge, and more
- A track-record of taking initiative and quickly solving issues with poise and simplicity
- A superb ability to engage people from all backgrounds, in person and in writing
- A demonstrated ability to build and implement a stakeholder engagement and stewardship plan
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with shifting priorities
Beneficial (considered an asset)
- Copywriting or RFP/grant writing experience
- Design, Photography, and/or Videography experience
- Public Relations experience and connections
How to apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to info(at)yellcanada.org, outlining salary expectations.
Individuals will be considered for hiring as soon as applications arrive.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates receiving serious consideration will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please. Posting is open until September 4, 2018.