Wunderlich-Malec Engineering is an employee owned ESOP company and one of the largest and most well-established (35+ years) engineering companies in the United States with over 30 locations nationally - we have an opportunity for a Sr. Controls Engineer in our Houston, TX location. The person who thrives in this role will possess an entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to be part of a well-respected engineering team.
Our engineers work on a diverse set of challenges while expanding their knowledge base and broadening their skills. This person will be responsible for controls engineering project requirements involving PLC / DCS / Turbomachinery Control System programming, HMI/SCADA programming, control panel design, instrumentation specification, check-out support, commissioning, and field service of turbomachinery control systems.
Location: Houston Katy, I 10 West
- This position requires the Controls Engineer to conceptualize, detail and implement control systems for industrial processes and machinery that meet our client’s requirements.
- Lead the discovery process through physical inspection of the subject machine. Consultation with Operations staff to determine operational problems and operations improvement areas. Engagement with Reliability Management staff to determine controls/systems related
- This involves the development of a control system architecture, selecting the components to be used, detailing schematic diagrams and system documentation, programming controllers (PLC,DCS,TCS), programming the process visualization (HMI/SCADA), developing databases for archiving/displaying historical system data and implementing/commissioning the control system at the client’s facility.
- Knowledge of controller programming languages such as Function Block, Ladder, Sequential Function Chart, Structured Text and others to achieve the desired results is required. Expertise programming Triconex 1131-3 function block language is required.
- For larger systems, experience with industrial networking used to connect control system components and instrumentation is preferred. The Controls Engineer would design, detail and implement a variety of fiber, wired and wireless systems using industrial protocols (Ethernet/IP, Profinet, Modbus, etc.).
- Supervise subcontractors suppling services to implement the SIS safety lifecycle: HAZAOP, LOPA, SRS, implementation, Sil Calculation Verification,…
- Supervise subcontractors’ scope of work with an eye towards diagnosing scope gaps, scope integration, factory acceptance test, sight acceptance testing,
- Project management skills and the ability to self-manage even complex projects; excellent time management and multitasking; flexibility in work environments and schedules; strong written and oral communication skills, essential to building and maintaining good work and customer relationships.
- The ideal candidate must have a diverse engineering skill set with the ability to work independently. Will act as technical lead on projects and guide lower level engineers and technicians.
Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical/Control Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Computer Science is required.
Seven to ten years with capabilities in below areas is preferred:
- In-depth understanding of PLC, DCS, Turbomachinery Control System hardware/software applications making use of Triconex Trisation software. Control Database creation making use of Triconex 1131-3 function block programming.
- Understanding of auxiliary equipment in an electrical generating or plant environment: generator excitation control systems, protective relaying, industrial motor controls and VFDs, etc. Anti-surge control of axial and centrifugal compressor is highly desirable.
- Experience in industries such as Industrial Cogeneration, Oil & Gas (Upstream/Midstream/Downstream), Chemical Processing, etc.
- Experience in the basic safety requirements and processes within the industries noted above.
- Experience in design of electrical schematics, including power distribution under 480VAC, control panels and associated NEC references, Ethernet networking and architecture, serial communications, etc.
- Experience with AutoCAD LT / AutoCAD Electrical is also desired.
- Ability to travel up to 30%, including internationally.
Standard office environment, On-site office environment, and diverse industrial environments. Frequent PC usage, facsimile/copy machines, phones.
Physical Demands of the Position
Seeing, color perception, hearing and clear speech, dexterity in hands, driving, lifting, climbing, and ability to mount and dismount equipment, pushing, and pulling.