POSITION DESCRIPTION: Marketing/Public Relations Manager
Location: Irvine, CA
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Branding. Building Awareness. Consistency. Creativity.
Here is an opportunity to bring your considerable talents in marketing and public relations, and put them to good use for the good of a powerful mission. As the Marketing/Public Relations (PR) Manager for Working Wardrobes, you will be in charge of the strategic direction of the organization in brand messaging, producing consistent collateral for all divisions of the organization. As we move closer to our 30th anniversary year, 2020, there is considerable work to be done to maximize awareness, oversee print coverage and enhance community engagement for this historical time.
Working Wardrobes is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing a path for adults in crises to reenter the workforce—in style! The Marketing/PR Manager is a high-touch and high-tech individual who can provide brand leadership and work with staff and volunteers to get the message of the organization and mission to our supporters and broader community. With a deep understanding marketing and public relations and razor-sharp attention to details, a warm and engaging communication manner, you’ll not only handle the day-to-day details but also add the type of value that will celebrate success, highlight legacy and institute a cohesive marketing/PR plan for the future.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties
Reporting directly to the Founder and Chief Executive Officer, this role works with all aspects of our business – from client services, to fund development to retail operations as we build awareness and revenue for the organization. We have a wide variety of volunteers who support the work we do and can provide support for marketing services as well.
We expect the Marketing/PR Manager to accomplish the following goals by the end of the first year:
- Develop strong branding awareness messaging; determine direction for potential re-branding into the second 30 years
- Develop a complete Marketing and Communications plan for the organization, including strategy, goals, budget and tactics
- Evaluate opportunities for media partnerships, sponsorships and advertising
- Collaborate with cross functional team to produce effective collateral
- Coordinate and manage with creative partners to produce collateral in a timely fashion
- Monitor use of logos and implement style guide for all divisions
- Ensure integration of all marketing elements and messaging
- Develop a media relations strategy to maximize coverage of the organization’s 30th anniversary year
- Build relationships with thought leaders to grow category awareness – workforce development, veteran services and social enterprise
- Create content for press releases, byline articles and keynote presentations
- Search for best keynote presentation opportunities for CEO
- Develop a social media plan across all appropriate platforms – LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Develop story lines for all divisions of the business, putting a face to the work we accomplish
Keys to Success
Pivotal to your success in this role is your ability to showcase effective creativity as well as harness the ongoing needs of project management essential to juggling a very busy office. Having a high level of “emotional intelligence” is vital, as you build collaborative partnerships with our staff and volunteers who are passionate about the Working Wardrobes’ mission. You will demonstrate tact and diplomacy and spark others to perform at a high level as you coordinate brand messaging and develop collateral that moves the business ahead in all divisions.
- High-energy -- you’ll be able to move 95 mph in a 55 mph world showcasing a sense of urgency and solid focus to manage multiple priorities from various stakeholder groups.
- Creativity -- you’ll utilize your creativity in coming up with the resources needed to operate an effective marketing effort, on a shoe-string budget
- Flexibility -- our fast pace and dynamic environment will require you to remain adaptable and effectively manage change.
- An eye to the future —you’ll take a proactive approach to learning fundraising trends, staying abreast of new techniques in digital marketing and production.
- Technical skills – you ‘ll bring a strong level of technical competency and ability to work all elements of the marketing mix, digital platforms and a curiosity to explore new technological opportunities that can link our website, digital and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software for increased marketing exposure
- Bedrock integrity -- we are committed to sound non-profit practices; we’ll look to you to conduct yourself with the highest professional standards as you demonstrate integrity and authenticity to our stakeholder groups.
Qualifications and Experience:
- BA/BS Degree, preferably in Marketing, Communications/PR and hands on digital experience.
- 5+ years of marketing/PR experience developing and executing creative plans that also raise money
- Experience in managing budgets and presenting budget proposals
- Experience with a CRM software such as SALSA, Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce highly desired
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proven organization and project management skills for multi-project planning and coordination
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to accomplish projects with little supervision
- Strict attention to detail
- Demonstrated competence with Microsoft Office applications (Microsoft 365) including Word, Excel, digital platforms; experience with publishing and design software applications
- Reliable transportation is required to fulfill the off-site marketing/PR functions of the role; mileage reimbursement is available
Who We Are
Working Wardrobes for a New Start is a nonprofit organization with a successful 29-year history of providing over 100,000 adults emerging from life crises with the tools to get back to work.
We are solidly an entrepreneurial nonprofit organization with 35% of our revenue generated by our business entities. The corporate office in Irvine boasts an office atmosphere that is business like with a focus on accomplishing an enormous amount of work each week. Working Wardrobes’ values guide all of our programming efforts and include:
- Providing job readiness services in an atmosphere of dignity that enhances the lives of our clients.
- Achieving financial stability for our clients and our organization – with integrity.
- Celebrating the successes of our clients, collaborative partners, donors and volunteers.
- Partnering with corporations, educational programs, community agencies and civic partners.
- Engaging the power of volunteerism.
Physical Requirements of the Position:
- Able to remain in a stationary position (both sitting and standing) for extended periods of time (50%).
- Able to move about inside the Career Center to access files, call donors, event coordinators and volunteers, etc.
- Able to operate office equipment such as a phone, computer, calculator, copy machine and fax machine.
- Able to move equipment and supplies weighing up to 25 pounds for various events.
- Able to move, traverse – move to access documents, files, supplies, etc.
- Must be able to work from a computer sending email, view electronic documents, and stare at a computer screen for extended periods of time (up to 6 hours per day with intermittent breaks).
- Frequently communicate with donors and volunteers who have inquiries about the organization’s mission and services. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a benefits package that includes a portion of your medical, vision and dental coverage, as well as AFLAC supplemental policies, paid vacation, paid sick time off, and more.
- Ability to make an impact -- as our “go to” in-house marketing/PR, you’ll showcase your creativity and expertise in developing targeted collateral, promotional activities and support fundraising events with materials that welcome donors.
- Branding and messaging - The work we do is exciting with an emotional component that truly changes lives. You will become an integral person in ensuring our message is conveyed accurately, that collateral is produced with cost savings in mind and that fundraising campaigns have creativity and profitability baked in.
- Challenge & variety – this is not your average nine to five job; you’ll be required to work occasional early morning as well as evening events and each day will bring an exciting stream of unique challenges, allowing you to flex your mental agility as you evaluate how to produce quality work on a budget
- Clothing bonus – we’ll look to you to impart a polished “dress for success” image in all your professional interactions, and towards that end we’ll provide you with complimentary business outfits each month!
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Working Wardrobes does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, age, citizenship, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or because of any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state or local law.