Senior Software Engineer
Wonolo Remote, OR
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Wonolo, which stands for Work Now Locally, is disrupting the $70bn temporary staffing industry. Founded in 2014, Wonolo is a remote-first company with three regional hubs: San Francisco Bay Area, Nashville, and Toronto. We have built a tech-enabled marketplace that connects businesses in need of front-line workers on a temporary or seasonal basis, with over 1 million underemployed workers in local markets all across the country. Our mission is to empower the in-demand workforce by providing flexible and fulfilling job opportunities for everyone.
We're looking for a Senior Backend Software Engineer to join our Backend Platform team and help build our core features and services for use by our product engineering teams. You will join a team of talented engineers who all work together to tackle tech debt, create services, and ensure our platform scales with the business!
Be an engineers' engineer and write the code that other engineers at Wonolo use to get their job done. This team plays a mission-critical role in our ability to scale a two-sided marketplace that supports different verticals within light industrial (Retail and Administrative, Logistics and Fulfillment, Delivery, etc.). Backend Platform partners closely with the DevOps team in order to create services, tooling, performance metrics, and alerting that ensure the stability of the backend platform.
We are open to remote candidates located anywhere in the United States and Canada #LI-Remote.
What you'll do:
- Write high-performing, maintainable code while iterating and shipping rapidly
- Participate in ideating, designing, and executing significant architectural change
- Wrangle a test harness around existing legacy code
- Gain an understanding of our AWS infrastructure
- Build out solid core libraries for use by feature teams to build out product
- Identify and extract microservices out of existing Rails monolith
- Coach remote team members through code reviews on OOP practices and design patterns
- Incrementally raise and enforce the bar for acceptable code quality
Who you are:
- 5+ years of industry experience working on an established Ruby on Rails backed system operating at scale and made contributions towards achieving architectural change with minimal downtime
- You want to simplify ALL the things; we have too much to do to reason about complex code again and again
- You care deeply about the craft of software development and stay on top of emerging technologies and best practices
- You can articulate technical trade-offs of different approaches, know how and when to deviate from established best practices, and can admit when you're wrong
- You have the desire to grow, mentor, and learn from your fellow developers, regardless of level
- You demonstrate a substantial commitment to representation and inclusion
Benefits and perks:
- Meaningful equity and company bonus
- We cover 100% insurance (medical/dental/vision) premiums, 80% for your dependents
- We encourage a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible schedules, an open vacation policy, and the ability to work from anywhere in the US (no more commutes!)
- Generous parental leave plan
- Cell phone reimbursement and laptop
- 401(k) plan as well as life and disability insurance
- Team outings, virtual happy hours, company off-sites, and more!
Wonolo is a two-sided job marketplace that serves over 1 million front-line workers, providing them access to flexible and consistent job opportunities across the United States within minutes, at companies such as Peloton, Coca-Cola, Neiman Marcus, Papa John's, and thousands more.
We are a remote-first company with 160+ full-time employees, and quickly scaling our team within the United States and Canada. We are well funded and backed by leading investors including Sequoia Capital, Bain Capital, and Leeds Illuminate, among others.
Learn more about us:
Wonolo is one of Glassdoor's best tech companies to work for in 2021
Sequoia, leading Silicon Valley venture capital firm, invests in Wonolo
Yong Kim (CEO) on why he's passionate about empowering the in-demand workforce
Wonolo is a Great Place to Work Certified company for delivering a consistently high-trust experience for all employees. We value representation and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment. We provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees.
#24 in Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2021 (Small and Medium)
#12 in Fortune's Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021 (Small and Medium)
Inc. Magazine's Best Workplaces 2020 (Medium to Large)
Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Equity, and Belonging:
Wonolo welcomes you as you and celebrates our collective diversity. We work to serve the underserved, and we are built on the strength of our entire community. We are especially interested in candidates who represent different cultures, perspectives, and backgrounds as these empower our team to come together to make the best decisions and biggest impact.
Wonolo is an equal opportunity employer. We make the best effort to ensure all people feel supported, empowered, and connected at work. A big part of this effort is through our support for members and allies of Employee Resource Groups such as Whammies of Color and Allies At Wonolo (WoCAW), Women of Wonolo (WoW), Parents of Wonolo (PoW), and People Out at Wonolo and Allies (POWA). Individuals seeking to work at or with Wonolo are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Wonolo Privacy Statement:
By providing your personal information and/or submitting your application, you agree that Wonolo may use your personal information for the purposes of carrying out its recruitment and hiring process, which may include, but no limited to, reviewing your qualifications, verifying your information, communicating with you about the recruitment process, and retaining your personal data as otherwise needed for recruitment-related activities.
Information you provide Wonolo as part of the recruitment process is accessible only to those Wonolo employees and other third-party service providers involved with Wonolo's recruitment, interview, and onboarding process. Wonolo does not disclose your personal information to any third party in a manner that would be considered a sale under applicable laws. By providing your personal information as an applicant for this position or any other position at Wonolo, you agree that your personal data may be transferred and/or disclosed to Wonolo's third-party providers. This may include transfers to servers and databases outside the country where you provided Wonolo with your personal data.
TechnologyView all jobs at Wonolo