- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Job Overview: Wonders of Wildlife located in Springfield, MO is seeking a dynamic VETERINARY TECHNICIAN to join our team! This person will assist curatorial staff, consulting veterinarian and husbandry staff with animal health care and water quality. This individual should have the ability to work in a complex animal health care environment with a variety of animals and staff.
- Perform daily observation of all specimens in collection and quarantine for signs of disease and stress.
- Collect appropriate specimens and perform clinical laboratory procedures (including fecals, bloodwork using common lab equipment, skin scrapes, gill, and fin clips), and necropsies
- Daily treatments and preventative health care under supervision of Consulting Veterinarian and Curatorial team.
- Provide daily reports of animal health status to Consulting Veterinarian and the Curatorial team.
- Research as needed for diagnosis and treatment improvements and modifications.
- Perform water quality testing including DO, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Copper, Chlorine, and others.
- Assist veterinarian in animal care surgeries and other medical procedures as needed.
- Working familiarity with diagnostic procedures including but not limited to radiography, ultrasound.
- Administering Anesthesia/ Sedation and be able to monitor an anesthetized/ sedated animal
- Conduct complex oral and written instructions.
- Above average in the ability to organize, manage time, and set priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Prepare and administer medications or medical orders given by the veterinarian.
- Coordinates daily activities though effective communication with staff and volunteers.
- Responsible for daily record keeping and observations
- Assist museum staff & visitors as needed in a pleasant, professional, and courteous manner.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned to achieve the goals and mission of the museum.
- Must adhere to all company/department safety standards and policies.
- Must be open to working mandatory/approved overtime.
- Must be open to working weekends/weekdays/nights when necessary/critical to support the business.
- Must be able to cover shifts at affiliate Conservation Attraction properties.
- Must have an approved driving record and operate a company vehicle if required/applicable.
MINIMUM Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education:
- Preferred to be a licensed Registered Veterinary Technician by the Missouri State Veterinary Medical Board or completion within 6 months of hire.
- Preferred two (2) years' experience working in a related field. Requires knowledge of animal health, biology, nutrition, toxicology, and physiology.
- Requires experience in performing animal necropsies, routine biological testing such as micro-biologic testing, fecal analysis and blood-work using common lab equipment.
- Requires knowledge of basic chemistry, water quality testing and an understanding of the Nitrogen Cycle.
- Skilled in using standard water quality lab equipment such as: meters, spectrophotometers, colorimeters, refractometers and tensionometers.
- Requires walking/standing approximately 75% of the time, sitting 10% of the time, forward bending and crouching 15% of the time, lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Requires proficiency with Personal Computer (P.C.) hardware and contemporary software including Microsoft Office Products.
- Requires capability of performing essential job functions in holding areas, exhibit spaces and mechanical rooms where spaces are small and tight, and in office environments with climate control and good lighting.
- May require immunizations depending on animal collection, this could include TB, rabies and other relevant testing.
- Any combination of experience, education, skills, certification(s) etc. will be taken into consideration
- Must be able to work in an environment with exposure to sunlight, various animals, weather, loud sounds, low lighting, close quarters, high/low temperatures, etc.
We offer the following benefits by joining our team:
- Store/Attraction employee discounts
- Medical, Vision, Dental, Company Paid Life Insurance, LTD, STD, 401(k)
- Paid Time Off
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Wonders of Wildlife National Museum & Aquarium
Get fresh Wildlife Veterinary Technician jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.