Wonders Early Learning and Extended Day - Our Mission
To create and advance high quality, diverse educational communities that teach children the foundations of life-long learning and social responsibility.
Extended Day School Teacher – Position Summary
The School Age Teacher plays a dynamic role at Wonders Early Learning + Extended Day in providing quality child care services in our school-age programs. The Extended Day Teacher is a positive model, and stimulates creative thought processes, provides hands-on experiences, and promotes emotional development for children.
Teamwork is a critical component of the Extended Day Teacher position. Extended Day Teachers regularly meet with their team, other staff and Program Director to develop programs that follow the Wonders Extended Day Curriculum and promote the Wonders philosophy and ideals.
This is a part time 10 month (school year) position.
- Actively participate, contribute and cooperate in team planning sessions with Program Director, staff and team
- Meet with your team to lead planning and implementation of activities that are age appropriate, process oriented, and encourage divergent thinking, creativity, and problem solving, based on Wonders extended day curriculum, philosophy and mission
- Maintain open communication with Program Director regarding children, families, and team members
- Assist in orientating and training new team members for center responsibilities.
- Share teaching responsibilities with all team members and provide clear and objective feedback
- Plan and participate in special events for children and families
- Ensure that all spaces used by the program:
Are physically and emotionally safe
Are interesting and engaging for children
Are clean and organized
Reflect and support the lives and work of the children present
Support children in their understanding of the diversity of our society
- Develop behavior management strategies based on Wonders Early Learning + Extended Day policy, with team and Program Director
- Establish and nurture partnerships with families.
- Communicate with families on a regular basis to:
Inform them of program curriculum and activities
Solicit information about their child’s development and family events
- Participate in accreditation and reaccreditation processes for your site
- Attend a minimum of 24 hours of staff training yearly (MSDE/OCC approved for MD staff)
- Work extended hours on half and full service days including winter and spring breaks and on early release days
- Become familiar with and abide by all Wonders Early Learning + Extended Day policies, including those in the staff handbook, parent handbook, and terms of employment.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
- BA or AA in Education or a related field preferred, minimum of high school diploma, certificate of high school equivalency, or successful completion of college courses for credit.
Coursework must include minimum of 6 semester or 90 clock hours or equivalent of approved school-age coursework in child development and curriculum planning
If no college courses taken for credit, at least 9 clock hours of approved training in communicating with staff, parents and the public
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with children in an educational, recreational, or camp setting