Human Resources Specialist (Employee Relations)
Pay: $23-$30 DOE
Location: San Carlos, CA (Must be able to work in office)
- Three years full-time experience in any of the functional areas of Human Resources (compensation/benefits administration, employee/labor relation, leave of absence administration, recruitment/selection, employee programs/activities, employee training/development, and general personnel records administration),
- Experience working with unions (Preferably at least one year).
Examples of Essential Functions:
- Engage in customer service response with employees and the public on inquires related to employee services, recruitments, benefits, and employee relations.
- Update employee personnel files with responsibility for timely and accurate posting of employee's appointment, work assignment, medical records, bargaining/non-bargaining status, paid-time-off, promotion, salary change, tax deductions (other deductions such as retirement, deferred compensation), insurance beneficiary.
- Process all personnel actions and status changes in a timely and accurate basis. Responsible for initiating LOA, Worker’s Comp claims, performance evaluations, salary increases, longevity bonuses, PTO accruals, transfers, layoffs, resignations, disciplinary actions, terminations and retirements.
- Schedule and coordinate training activities, drug and alcohol testing, DOT physical examinations, and support for other employee programs.
- Manage timely distribution, collection and reporting (PeopleSoft) on documents/data associated with leaves of absence, drug test results, disciplinary actions, and grievance activity. Develop forms and statistical data (spreadsheet) needed for analysis.
- Establish and maintain LOA files, correspondence and reports in an accurate and timely fashion. Prepare and distribute LOA related correspondence (including benefits related info). Review LOA related notes/documents, follow-up. Coordinate employee’s return to work, set-up training, medical exams, drug test, etc. as required. Keep supervisor, training and HR staff informed.
- Ensure up-to-date medical certification for safety-sensitive employees. Prepare paperwork and schedule monthly medical re-certification as needed.
- Correspond with Labor Unions on a variety of Employee Relations issues. Process and track appeals, set up informal reviews, and prepare monthly Union reports.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinate and/or assist with employee-related functions, special programs and events.
- Provide telephone support for the department and provide information/forms to employees and customers as needed. Distribute documents, mail and other materials to appropriate individuals for action or information.
- Order, maintain and inventory department equipment and supplies.
- Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect one’s self, fellow employees and the public from injury or harm. Promote safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to use initiative and independent judgment, work with interruptions and changing priorities, organize work and follow-up assignments with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to prioritize work and perform satisfactorily in a busy office environment with constant interruption.
- Excellent customer relations, oral and written communication skills.
Wollborg Michelson Recruiting