Reporting to the Custodial Superintendent, this individual will provide supervision and leadership to the custodial team at UW Oshkosh. The Custodial Services Department is comprised of a diverse staff, consisting of Lead Custodians, Permanent and Limited Term Custodians, and University student employees. The daily duties of this position include assigning tasks, assessing staffing levels, assessing work performance, inspecting buildings for quality of cleaning and supply/equipment needs, inventory control, equipment and material distribution, maintaining accurate records and enforcing workplace health and safety.
This position is an important part of the Facilities Management team, and will occasionally fill in for other supervisors within the Facilities Management Department in their absence. This individual must have a high energy level, excellent oral and written communication skills, must maintain a positive attitude in dealing with the needs of the many campus faculty, students, and staff.
Normal work days are Monday - Friday, 4pm to 12am. Occasional weekend and evening work may be required. This person must have a valid WI driver's license and be authorized to drive a University vehicle upon appointment. A criminal background investigation is required. Must pass a pre-work screen to ensure the ability to perform essential physical functions of the position. **Position Summary:** A. Oversee the custodial maintenance in campus buildings.
1. Determine daily employee schedules - staffing, job priorities, and assignments.
2. Assist in planning and assigning work in campus buildings to assure established standards are maintained.
3. Determine staffing and equipment needs for special projects, office relocation and furniture moving.
4. Assign staff to provide emergency cleaning services to resolve problems.
5. Inspect buildings for cleanliness, thoroughness of housekeeping work and progress of work orders and take corrective action when necessary.
6. Order cleaning supplies and equipment to issue to employees.
7. Take physical inventories of supplies and equipment; maintain records.
8. Distribute custodial cleaning equipment and materials using department vehicle.
9. Keep paper and electronic records relating to building services performed, materials and supplies distributed, usage of supplies, etc.
10. Inspect interior and exterior assigned areas for building structure repairs or maintenance and follow-up to determine completion.
11. Inspect building furnishings, equipment used by residents and custodial equipment as required and call-in work orders; follow-up to achieve repair or replacement.
12. Service as a liaison with other Campus Services personnel to coordinate maintenance and custodial services for buildings.
13. Attend professional training sessions when requested.
14. Serve as liaison with campus staff.
15. Promote quality customer service by working with customers to solve issues or address complaints.
16. Perform cleaning work on an emergency basis.
17. Clean entrance areas, including snow removal to maintain appearance of exterior areas.
18. Other duties as assigned.
B. Supervise Custodial Employees
1. Document and maintain employee attendance records.
2. Approve and process employee vacation requests and overtime.
3. Inspect and evaluate employee work performance - quality and quantity of work.
4. Plan and conduct training sessions for employees.
5. Administer corrective discipline as necessary.
6. Conduct performance evaluations of custodial staff.
7. Participate with interviewing and recommend hiring decisions.
8. Provide back-up support to other CSS and Custodial Superintendent.
C. Responsibilities for Workplace Health and Safety
1. Review equipment operation to ensure safety regulations and procedures are followed.
2. Review workplace health and safety expectations with employees.
3. Follow and enforce health and safety rules.
4. Report unsafe acts and conditions, immediately.
5. Investigate workplace accidents in a timely manner.
6. Provide health and safety instruction for employees.
7. Incorporate safety and health objectives into annual performance evaluations.
8. Attend safety meetings and training sessions when requested.
Perform tasks requiring standing, bending, stooping, kneeling, and walking considerable distances between and within buildings on campus in order to review proposed projects and inspect completed work normally performed by supervisor's staff.
Ability to climb stairs, ladders, scaffolding, and reach above head in order to review proposed projects and inspect work performed on interior and exterior of campus buildings normally performed by supervisor's staff.
Must be able to read/understand chemical labels/signs and/or pictures.
Work experience with institutional or commercial custodial procedures, methods, techniques, cleaning agents/chemicals and equipment used in a large scale custodial operation and the ability to train subordinates to properly do their job.
Knowledge of occupational hazards, safety precautions and procedures related to housekeeping operations and the ability to train subordinates in this area.
Customer service experience, and effective oral communication to work and interact with subordinates, co-workers, students, guests and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Key boarding skills and basic knowledge of MS Word and Excel to input and extract data from a variety of programs.
Ability to write clear and concise instructions, reports, memos and letters.
Knowledge of record keeping and inventory practices and procedures.
Ability to conduct on-site inspection of employee work, equipment, facilities and maintenance projects through campus.
**How To Apply:**
Resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references required. Apply online: https://careers.uwosh.edu/cw/en-us/job/497422/custodial-services-supervisor
*Type of Employment:* Full Time (40 hrs/week)
*Salary:* $36,790 per year
*Contact:* Frank Mazanka, Custodial Services Superintendent, firstname.lastname@example.org, 920-948- 6130
*Bargaining Unit:* Unknown
*Area of Competition:* Open
*Deadline to Apply:* 11/13/2019
*Assessment Information:* See "How to Apply" below.
*Classification Title: / JAC:* CIVIL SERVICE UNCLASSIFIED 19-03218
*Job Working Title:* Custodial Services Supervisor