Join Wilmington Community Clinic!
WCC provides quality, non-discriminatory health services to improve the health and well-being of all served, regardless of their ability to pay. We have served patients in and around Wilmington and Los Angeles for over 40 years. We are proud of the services we provide and put patient care front and center. We provide medical, mental health and dental services.
Recently one of our patients said, “Best doctors and nurses around! Everyone at this clinic is always so professional and they get things done right away.”
We are proud of the impact we are making in the community!
The Substance Abuse/Alcohol Counselor works as a member of the Behavioral Health team to maintain the well-being of clients and the integrity of the program.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Thorough knowledge of drug and alcohol dependency, mental health, family systems and 12-Step/recovery resources in the community.
- Develop and maintain individualized records of client progress and participation in treatment including admission and discharge, individual, group, family, vocational (both individual and group) literacy training and other occasions as appropriate.
- Ability to write clear statements, summarizing client’s feelings, expressions, resistance and response to their treatment plan; goals and objectives. Includes letters to referral agencies, courts/probation.
- Ability to confront behavioral changes, identify a crisis, and recognize when additional assistance is necessary.
- Ability to recognize personal issues that have an impact on job performance and interactions with clients.
- Ability to demonstrate ethical and professional behavior.
- Ability to convey respect for cultural and lifestyle diversities of clients and staff.
- Ability to prepare for, and facilitate related process and educational groups.
- Knowledge of referrals, both in and out of WCC treatment system.
- Knowledge of the philosophy and approach of the 12-Step model of recovery (AA, CA, NA, Al-Anon).
- Ability to communicate clearly, with clients, staff, peers, and supervisors.
- Knowledge of computer operations: Windows and word processing (MS Word). Ability to readily adapt to Intergy information system.
- Follows clinic policies and procedures to ensure that the principles of WCC are implemented.
- Fosters an environment that promotes trust and cooperation among all staff of WCC.
- Attends all WCC mandatory meetings and other meetings as requested.
- Interacts with patients, physicians, staff, vendors, and visitors in ways that demonstrate caring and reflect the WCC mission and philosophy.
- Practices in a professional manner and collaborates with other health team members.
- Works successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Knowledgeable of social service procedures, policies, and resources.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Punctuality and excellent attendance required.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- Required current certification number issued from a statewide or nationwide credentialing body (i.e. CCAPP, CAADE) received upon completion of passing the California Certification exam.
- Two years supervised experience working in substance abuse and/or a related field. Failure to maintain certification will result in loss of employment.
- Vision, hearing, manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination must be adequate for performance of job duties.
- Able to sit at desk, use keyboard, write and physically perform other job duties.
- Able to move about the facility to observe clients and staff.
- First-Aid certification, obtain within 90 days of employment and maintain current thereafter.
- CPR certification, obtain within 90 days of employment and maintain current thereafter.
- Medication training required within 30 days of employment.
- Maintain computer skills adequate to perform Intergy/word processing duties within 90 days of employment.
WCC offers a competitive salary and benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement, paid time off, paid holidays and free employee parking. The environment is team oriented with a clear focus on the mission of the organization.
Thank you for your interest! Please submit a letter of interest and resume. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept direct inquiries about this position (i.e. phone calls, emails).