Key Words: structural engineer, design, LECWall 11, Presto
Position Title Structural Engineer - Structural Precast
Location Trenton MI
Summary: Perform engineering design for precast products to meet structural requirements, economics, constructability and quality by performing the following duties.
Education or Equivalent: Bachelor of Science focused in Engineering and related experience. Master’s degree is desirable.
Supervisory Responsibility: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of; Design software; Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software. Must have advanced working knowledge of LECWall 11 and Presto.
Nature & Scope-Principal Areas of Responsibilities: Other duties may be assigned.
• Complete work on a timely basis to assist in workflow to customers and to the plant in compliance with schedule requirements. When assistance is required, provide notice well in advance so as to be able to maintain schedule requirements.
• Assist in causing profitability. Search for means to reduce the cost of projects while meeting the expectations of our customers.
• Participate in ‘Lean Six Sigma’ process to enhance profitability.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the structural discipline and be familiar with IBC, ACI, and AISC codes and PCI design handbook.
• Must have Professional Engineer License to sign off on shop drawings for production. Performs duties of the engineer in “Responsible Charge” for the structural design and detailing of products and structures supplied for projects assigned.
• Performs structural engineering design using software for precast plank projects ranging in size from residential to large commercial with degree of difficulty easy to medium.
• Performs engineering review for completeness of information, constructability details, layout, and scope. Works with detailer and outside resources to provide final shop drawings to the plant.
• Performs structural engineering design using software for precast wall panels ranging in size from small to medium with degree of difficulty from easy to medium (cladding and simple wall bearing).
• Maintains project manager software file for project status.
• Maintains hard copy drawing file for approvals, RFI's, engineering calculations, and other paperwork. Prepares and copies engineering calculations for distribution and file.
• Reviews detail drawings for conformity including structural design, dimensions, details, sections, and marks drawings up for revision by the detailer. Directs and oversees detailer's work on drawings.
• Provides structural engineering support to sales and estimating as needed including reviewing drawings, preliminary designs, and technical support on sales calls. Provides engineering support for product research.
• Provide engineering support to Quality control, fabrication and erection functions and processes.
• Reviews and decides course of action on discrepancy reports.
• Is in contact with A/E's regarding engineering issues, constructability issues, approvals, etc. to problem solve and reach resolution.
• Coordinates other trade's requirements with plank including mechanical openings, stairways, masonry, steel, and concrete.
• Responds to plant issues with plank and panel details, review layouts and build specifications to resolve production problems.
• Assist with designs, details and issues for underground products.
• Educate internal and external customers on the benefits and limitations of precast products.
• Ensure all details are made to drawing standards. Assist with continually improving and growing standards to meet industry standards.
• Mentor Engineer I, junior engineer and engineering interns to promote growth and development.
• Must adhere to all MiOSHA safety rules.
• Must work within the attendance policy guidelines.
1. Bachelor’s degree in engineering.
2. Structural design experience with LECWall 11 and Presto software.