Customer Service Specialist
- Expired: February 10, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
Customer Service Specialist
This is a continuous posting and will be filled on an as needed basis.
General Statement Of Duties: The Customer Service Specialist provides excellent customer service to patrons in person and over the phone. Additionally, this position supports Willamalane facilities, programs, rentals, and special events by assisting in program or member room set ups, checking on equipment needs and being on site to help resolve facility issues that might occur. Light custodial work is an expectation of this position. Assist with leading participants in a variety of special event/program activities; set up and take down of rentals and events; does related work as required.
Distinguishing Features Of The Class: An employee in this classification is responsible for monitoring programs and facility operations. Solicits patron compliance with facility policies, procedures and safety guidelines, and completes records and documentation as required. Work is performed under the supervision of a Recreation Supervisor or Program Manager, who reviews work primarily on the basis of direct observation and interaction, and information from coworkers and guests. May assist in taking money and admissions, coat check, light concessions, info booth, metal detecting, etc. Supervision is not normally a responsibility of positions in this classification
Examples Of Essential Duties Performed:
(Illustrative only. Any single position of a class will not necessarily involve all of the duties listed, and many positions will involve duties that are not listed.)
- Answer a telephone operating system directing calls to appropriate personnel and departments while multitasking with patrons at the front desk.
- Respond to a variety of patron's questions in regards to programs, events, rentals, parks, etc. Assists patrons with program registration, facility rentals, memberships and other needs as required.
- Professionally respond to suggestions and concerns from patrons regarding rentals, events, programs, activities, policies and practices.
- Provide excellent internal and external customer service. Create a positive experience for coworkers and patrons through professional and courteous behavior and effective problem solving resolution.
- Assist with event/program setup and tear down. Performs necessary cleanup.
- Picks up, sweeps, and cleans as required; monitors facility or park for any possible hazardous conditions and takes appropriate action.
- Communicate effectively and work cooperatively with all district staff.
- Compliant with district and department policies and procedures.
- Work a flexible schedule, including weekends and evenings.
- Ability to problem-solve with participants regarding program activities, rentals, and events.
- Set up and take down chairs, tables, nets, tennis posts, volleyball posts, bleachers and appropriate equipment in accordance with specified safety procedures and guidelines; provide other necessary support as needed.
- Provide facility support by assisting the custodial team with light cleaning duties including but not limited to; emptying garbage, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, disinfecting surfaces, washing windows, light laundry and performing other custodial duties as assigned.
- Attend and participate in mandatory team meetings and training as appropriate and relevant to assignments and duties.
- Open and close facility including securing rooms, turning off lights and other equipment, and locking/arming the facility.
- Assists with birthday party rentals including staffing the rock wall, the Two50 youth center, and other locations. Maintains a safe environment, and ensures proper use of equipment.
- Works in multiple facilities, environments, and in varied weather conditions.
- Assist in event/program promotion including distribution of promotional materials. Assists with large group management and crowd control.
- Work independently and also as a team.
- Enforce appropriate building/facility operating policies and procedures.
- Respond positively to feedback and accept direction.
- May drive District vehicles as needed.
- Perform emergency support as directed in the emergency action plan.
- Administer First Aid, CPR, and AED and responds to emergencies as required
Knowledge: Basic knowledge of program registration facility rentals, and District Events. Possess the skills to provide excellent customer service with the public, work independently and as part of a team; basic knowledge of mathematics; ability to use registration software; facility operations and maintenance procedures.
Skills: Professionally and effectively communicate and work with patrons and team members; recognize and resolve service, safety, and operations issues.
Abilities: Understand and follow oral and written instructions; work courteously and tactfully with co-workers and the general public; good judgment and initiative in carrying out work assignments; maintain composure in emergency situations; provide accurate information; effectively manage program registrations and facility rentals; handle and count money for change back to patrons; observe and monitor facility operations; accept direction and demonstrate continual learning and improvement; work effectively with frequent interruptions.
Physical Demands Of The Position: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, hear, and communicate. This position occasionally requires bending and stooping, crouching, carrying with and without handles, pushing and pulling upper extremity, pushing and pulling hip/ leg assist, lifting (floor to knuckle and waist to shoulder), lifting overhead, reach below and above shoulder, and grip/manipulate objects. The position requires mobility including the ability to move materials weighing up to 50 pounds on a regular basis such as files, books, office equipment, bags, chairs, nets, tennis posts (25 pounds), volleyball posts (40 pounds), tables (50 pounds) and may frequently require moving equipment, including bleachers weighing up to 75 pounds with proper safety tools. Manual dexterity and coordination are required over 50% of the work period while operating equipment such as computers, keyboards, telephones, calculators, and standard office equipment. Persons with special needs may be able to perform the essential duties of this class with reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis and depends, in part, on the specific requirements for the job, the limitations related to the disability and the ability of the hiring department to accommodate the limitation.
Personal Protective Equipment: Access to Nitrile gloves for the administration of First Aide.
Working Conditions: Work is performed primarily indoors in a highly visible, busy public environment with occasionally working outdoors on the sport fields for event setups. Large volume of public contact and frequent disruptions can be expected at times. Flexibility is required to cover shifts, support staff and fulfill other requirements of the position.
Experience And Training: High school graduation or equivalency and one year of customer service, facility set up and or cashier experience in a busy and highly public environment; or any satisfactory combination of experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, ability, maturity and professional judgment to perform the above-described duties.
Necessary Special Requirements: Possession of or ability to obtain current First Aid and CPR/AED certificates; Because this job is considered safety sensitive, a drug screen test will be required prior to employment.
Position Type/Expected Hours Work
This position will work on average between 10-19 hours a week. Some mandatory nights and weekends including unconventional hours.
Minimum Education, Experience And Training:
Some high school or equivalency. Ability to become a District driver.
Preferred Education, Experience and Training: Associates degree.
Possibility of 10-19 hours per week. Shifts possible: day, night, weekend, nontraditional hours. This position will remain open and will be filled as needed.
Equal opportunity employer.
Drug free workplace.
•Annual cost of living increase (as approved by the Board).
•50-percent discount on selected child care programs (see Policy Manual for restrictions).
•25-percent discount on certain recreation programs.
•Holiday Pay (time and a half) for any hours worked on district designated holidays.
•Sick accrual; 1hr for every 30hrs worked.
•Free use of pools for lap and play swims-EE only.
•Free use of fitness center-EE only with discount for household members.
•Free wellness classes offered by Willamalane.
•Payroll direct deposit is available.
•Bonus pay ($100) for employees who work at least 500 hours between April 1 through September 30 or October 1 through March 31.
Willamalane Park and Recreation District
Get fresh DSHS Customer Service Specialist jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.