To assist the PPZ O&M Manager in maintaining PPZ facilities and grounds, oversee projects performed by outside contractors, and to assist in managing department staff.
1. Oversee the general maintenance, repair, and upkeep of Prospect Park Zoo property including buildings, grounds, systems and equipment.
2. Manage O&M staff including assignment of projects/tasks including painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, cleaning and grounds keeping.
3. Assist manager in maintaining, approving, and submitting time sheets for O&M staff.
4. Assist manager in purchasing. Research product information as directed; initiate Purchase Requisitions and approve vendor payments for O&M purchases when manager is unavailable or as assigned by Manager.
5. Coordinate O&M activities with other departments to facilitate efficient completion of repair/improvement tasks with minimal interference/interruption to guest experience or animal access to exhibit habitats.
6. Collaborate with Prospect Park Zoo staff to ensure preventive maintenance (PM), work orders, and other requests are completed in a timely manner.
7. Perform all administrative and managerial duties associated with the maintenance operations at Prospect Park Zoo including, but not limited to staff management and development; purchasing; safety; and adherence to all WCS established policies and procedures.
8. Serve as Safety Supervisor on the PPZ Safety Committee; ensure OSHA and AZA compliance in Operations Department as directed by the Manager and PPZ Safety Officer.
9. Coordinate site activities with WCS Pest Control team on behalf of all departments; ensure and document follow up pest control efforts.
1. Degree or certification in facility management or minimum three years of proven facilities supervisory experience as maintenance supervisor or comparable role.
2. Hands-on experience and understanding of technical aspects of plumbing, carpentry, electrical systems, construction, HVAC, BMS.
3. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and facility management/work order software.
4. Working knowledge of tools and equipment required to maintain the park.
5. Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures or governmental regulations.
6. Ability to write reports, material lists and procure manuals.
7. Effective communication and interpersonal skills to provide instructions or explain work progress.
8. Must be able to secure required NYC Certificates of Fitness including but not limited to: air compressor maintenance and operation; torch use of flammable gas; supervision and storage of flammable materials; supervision of flammable/combustible liquids in portable containers; fire alarm systems; fire guard for torch operations
9. Candidate must possess a valid Driver’s license.
10. Ability to represent WCS in a professional manner and to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with employees, colleagues, City and other government agencies, outside contractors, and the general public.
- The position requires work in office environments as well as outdoor work in all weather conditions.
- Tasks require manual dexterity and ability to safely use tools (e.g. computer keyboard, copiers, and hand tools).
- Knowledge and ability to operate equipment and systems (e.g. tractors, compressors, generators, lifts).
- Some tasks require climbing, kneeling, bending, navigating uneven terrain, and moderate lifting up to 50 pounds.