Under the direct supervision practice manager and physicians, the CMA will assist in the delivery of patient care. Performs delegated medical tasks, assists physician and nursing staff with patient care, and may perform clerical duties. Where the electronic system is in use, this position will utilize the E-Clinical for documentation purposes.
Fully participate in the day to operations and patient flow. Demonstrates leadership by collaboration, teamwork, communication, accountability, customer service, and advanced knowledge of clinical skills.
Prepares patient for examination by the health care provider.
• Performs routine clinic testing, including but not limited to obtaining blood and urine specimens, vision testing, hearing screening, pulmonary function testing, EKG, rapid point of care testing, and vital signs.
• Assists provider with procedures, including minor surgical procedures.
• Provides pre-printed patient education /material as directed by a physician.
• Exhibits compassion and empathy for all patients and families at all times.
• Performs cleaning and disinfection of environment of care. Performs high level disinfection of equipment instruments per unit/hospital procedure.
• Maintains necessary supplies in clinical area.
• Functions effectively in all medical assistant roles specific to clinic.
Works independently and serves as a resource for others. May precept new medical assistant and medical assistant students within the clinic.
• Models customer service behaviors and integrates best practices for service and operations.
• Participates in clinic based process improvement efforts.
• Active participant in clinic huddles/staff meetings;
• Supports clinic operations such as supplies, equipment maintenance, etc…
• Addresses environment of care needs and plays active role in compliance with regulatory requirements.
• Assists with front desk operations to include but not limited to: patient check in and check out, scheduling, filing, patient phone calls, authorization, and informing patients of possible delays.
Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the patient populations(s) served. Collaborates with interdisciplinary team to address patient/family needs.
• Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's requirements relative to his or her population-specific and age-specific needs. Provides the care needed as described in the unit/area/department policies and procedures.
• Administers select medications and injections under direct supervision of physician as per clinic and hospital policy. Assist in the UMMS immunization program, including giving injections and tracking data in a computer program.
• Participates in medical assistant skill development and competency evaluation. Participates in clinic peer review process.
• Responsible for self-learning; attends educational offerings and in-services independently.
• Performs other duties as assigned. What You Need To Be Successful
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program required.
• Current member of the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) required.
• One (1) year of medical assisting and medical clinic experience required.
• CPR certification required