The Underwriter I is responsible for analyzing and rendering minimally-complex credit decisions on mortgage loan applications consistent with internal policies and investor guidelines as established by FNMA, FHLMC, FHA, VA, and USDA. Work under immediate supervision and report to Supervisor, Manager, or AVP.
· Review loan applications and identify missing or incorrect information
· Calculate consumers’ income and examine credit histories, assets, and collateral
· Analyze property standards against appraisal values
· Assess credit worthiness to determine if borrowers meet Ability to Repay (ATR) and Qualified Mortgage (QM) requirements
· Determine final credit decisions based on company policies and investor guidelines
· Understand and maintain a thorough knowledge of all policy updates
· Maintain Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
· Adhere to company quality control requirements
· Maintain relationships by effectively communicating with internal and external customers in a timely and professional manner
· Perform other duties as assigned
knowledge, skills, and abilities
· Good oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills to communicate with internal staff and external clients as needed
· Strong analytical and mathematical skills
· Ability to maintain a customer focus and efficiently and consistently produce accurate work in both individual and team settings
· Strong attention to detail and the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
· Solid knowledge of computer systems including MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
· High school diploma or GED
· 5+ years of related experience in the mortgage industry, including 3+ years of loan processing experience
· 0-3 years of underwriting experience
· Basic understanding of credit and an ability to perform mathematical calculations and review financial documents
· General knowledge of loan origination investor guidelines and federal and state compliance regulations
WSP is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Wheeler Staffing PartnersWSP specializes in filling contract, contract-to-hire, direct hire, contingency, and executive positions with professional candidates. From our Executive Retained Search Teams, Direct Hire and Contract Staffing Professionals, and RPO Service offerings we create models to deliver a world-class service, with a sense of urgency and professionalism. Our connections — and our candidates — combined with a staff backed by over 20 years of experience, ensure that our clients are seeing the right candidates for their career openings. WSP is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.