Family Medicine Physician
Western Sierra Medical Clinic - Penn Valley Site Penn Valley, CA
- Posted: over a month ago
JOB TITLE: Family Medicine Physician
REPORTS TO: Chief Medical Officer
SUPERVISION RECEIVED FROM: Chief Medical Officer
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Medical Supervision of Mid-Level Practitioners, as assigned
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Family Medicine Physician at WSMC is responsible for providing direct outpatient medical services to WSMC patients. S/he is responsible for rendering services that reflect current standards of medical care appropriate to the local medical community. S/he is responsible for coordination of care as appropriate, and for documentation as appropriate for continuity of care and risk management. S/he serves as a member of the health care team whose goals are described in the WSMC mission statement, and assumes responsibility as assigned for quality assurance/quality improvement efforts.
GENERAL DUTIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
- Direct Patient Services
- Provides direct outpatient in the areas of family medicine, general medicine, mild mental health, gynecology, family planning, pediatrics, and geriatric medicine.
- Refers patients to appropriate specialty care as appropriate and ensures appropriate communication and follow-up with specialty care providers.
- Ensures appropriate medical, laboratory, and diagnostic follow-up on patients for whom services are provided.
- Communicates effectively and in a timely manner with patients regarding their health/illness, empowers patients to take an active role in health maintenance, and promotes wellness behaviors in patients.
- Participates in the Health Center’s 24-hour on-call and hospital coverage system and covers clinical responsibilities for colleagues not on duty.
- Clinical Supervision of midlevel Providers, Nursing Staff, and Trainees
- Provides clinical supervision of mid-level providers through as-needed case consultation and scheduled chart review.
- Provides clinical supervision for nursing staff as needed and as assigned for triage, medication refills, referrals, nursing services visits.
- Provides appropriate teaching to trainees such as medical students, resident physicians, mid-level provider students, and nursing students.
- Continuing Medical Education
- Participates in continuing medical education appropriate to standards of practice, and in quantity sufficient to meet requirement for continued professional licensure and board certification.
- Participates in developing and presenting appropriate continuing medical education sessions for WSMC staff members.
- Attends staff, departmental, and interdepartmental team meetings as assigned/applicable.
- Position requires:
- Ability to obtain license to practice medicine in the state of California
- Preferred board eligible or board certified in family practice.
- Admitting/Consult privileges in a local hospital/medical center. (preferred)
- Ability to effectively clinically supervise mid-level providers.
- Ability to provide high-quality, cost-effective health care to patients of all ages and both genders, with a high degree of patient satisfaction.
- Ability to work effectively with co-staff members in cooperative decision-making.
- Ability to work effectively with staff members and patients from a variety of ethnic, political, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
- Ability to work independently to solve problems creatively and with initiative.
- Commitment to supporting the mission and principles of the WSMC.
- Documents all pertinent information in patient’s electronic medical record according to WSMC's Policies and Procedures.
- Upholds WSMC's Policies and Procedures, infection control standards, applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Quality Improvement Duties:
- Participates in quality improvement activities;
- Participates as assigned in interdepartmental quality improvement team efforts; and
- Contributes to overall efforts in quality improvement towards higher-quality, more cost-effective health care for patients and improved quality of work-life for staff members.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Licensed Physician in State of California (or able to obtain California State License).
- A Doctor of Medicine or a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree from an approved school of medicine or osteopathy, acceptable to the Surgeon General, HQ USAF, is mandatory.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a hospital, medical group, or similar medical facility (preferred)
- Current DEA, (with X-waiver preferred)
- Additional Preferred Experience:
a. Familiarity with an electronic practice management system.
b. Computer literate (i.e. logging on to computer, usage of keyboard and mouse, familiarity with Windows, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel).
c. Ability to type 45 wpm.
Western Sierra Medical Clinic - Penn Valley Site
AddressPenn Valley, CA
HealthcareView all jobs at Western Sierra Medical Clinic - Penn Valley Site